Chapter 2: An Adventure?

The boat docked and we all filed off carrying our bags.  A man was waiting to the side of the dock while we filed into a line.  He gave off the vibes of a cool guy.  His light brown hair was short and kind of messy but in a cool way.  It was held up by a yellow headband.  He was dressed in a plain red t-shirt with the Jurassic World logo on a chest pocket, the look being completed by a pair of khaki shorts and some work shoes.

He greeted us when we were all off the boat.  “Welcome to Isla Nublar, campers.”  He Began what seemed to be a practiced speech.  “You are the chosen few, the first in the entire world that get to experience the awesomeness that is Camp Cretaceous.”  Excitement was evident in his voice as he walked in front of us.  I was currently between the excited boy in the boat and Brooklyn who was recording the whole thing.  I still don't get it.  The invite said phones weren't allowed so why does she keep hers.  Well I guess I do have my communicator… but that's because of the… business… that I do. 

“I know the trip from the mainland was… rough on some, hello Ben” the man continued nodding towards the boy who had walked over to the water to hurl.  He turned back towards us giving a weak smile and a thumbs up before turning back towards the water to empty the contents of his stomach.  I shrank into myself feeling bad for him.  I guess I was right. I thought to myself remembering the observations that I had made on the boat.  The fanny pack that he wore on the outside of his light green sweater sipped slightly as he bent over.  I'm glad I didn't need to throw up due to the boat rocking although I did clench my chair so tight my knuckles turned white.

“But you made it,” the man said, sounding excited again.  He motioned toward himself, “I'm Dave, Head counselor” he stated, sounding proud.  “You heard that correctly, head honcho, big shot…” Dave began listing off other words for ‘head councilor’ when the sound of a car coming toward us made me turn around.  The others must have noticed this as they also turned around and Dave stopped talking.  A staff vehicle screeched to a stop in front of us.  As a woman stepped out.  She wore an outfit similar to Dave's  making me think it was the staff uniform.  Her hair was pulled back in a low ponytail with a few strands to frame her face similar to how Brooklynns did. 

“So sorry I'm late” she apologized with a British accent as she came down the steps to the dock. “Welcome campers, I'm Roxie, head counselor of Camp Cretaceous.”  She stated, promptly introducing herself as she slid next to Dave.  This new information caused all of us to look at Dave with a confused expression.  I myself cocked my eyebrow upwards and tilted my head as I felt my ears shift slightly.

Dave gave a nervous chuckle, “it's sort of a co-head councilor sort of… situation.”  He explained, causing Roxie to give him a look.

“Is it?”  she asked in a sarcastic tone.  I laughed inwardly. They remind me of Charlie and Zach.  I felt a small smile form as I thought of the two.  They would bicker like this all the time during team practice and even while we were doing our jobs.  I was brought back from memory lane when I heard Dave clear his throat as he changed the topic.

“Anyway… some of you won contests or recieved VIP invites to be here.” Brooklynn had begun to pivot around to film the rest of us.  The girl who had been a lone wolf turned away and hid her face from the camera with her hand.  When the camera came towards the rest of us I gave a shy smile towards the camera.  The boy next to me gave a double thumbs up while the girl with the southern accent popped in and did a peace sign.  Her black leather jacket squeaked slightly and irritated my ears.  Ben, who had joined the group again, offered a small smile to the camera.  I adjusted my beanie pulling it a bit closer to my head but not too much either.

“But for the next two weeks you will be getting the five star treatment!”  Dave continued putting emphasis on the end of his statement. 

Roxie picked up where he left off, “as our first campers, we've lined up exclusive behind the scenes tours.”  At this Dave gave a small wink towards us.

“Ooh” the girl in the leather jacket awed.

“Yes” the boy beside me cheered silently

I noticed Ben shrinking into himself with a small whimper.  “As well as kayaking, rock climbing, and obstacle courses,”  I felt my ears prick with excitement at the mention of obstacle courses. “And of course…”  Roxie continued.

“Dinosaurs?” The boy next to me said loudly in excitement, almost jumping forward.  He glanced sheepishly at us as he placed his hands in the pockets of his yellow sweater as we all looked at him.  I offered a small smile which he returned.  Although he still looked embarrassed.

“Yes …Darius, plenty of Dinosaurs”  Roxie answered, quickly glancing down at a clipboard that likely had our names on it.  “So are you guys ready for an adventure?”  Roxie asked.

“Absolutely,”  Brooklyn said while still recording, “but I'm going to need that speech a bit shorter and try to really lean into the majesty of this place.”  She pinched her fingers close together to emphasize her point.  Reminds me of Jack, I thought, comparing Brooklyn to the leader of our unit.  I chuckled silently to myself.

“Okay… we're going now,” Dave said with a small chuckle, “let's get the seven of you to camp.”  But there's seven of us…?

Ben voiced this inconsistency though, “but… there's seven of us”  Dave looked at Ben confused but then started to list us off.

“Wait… Dino-kid, Track-star, Internet girl, Barfy, Texas, and Beanie.”  He listed.  “He's right, where's number seven?” He asked, looking at Roxie.  She glanced at the clipboard before scoffing in annoyance.

We were now standing before a helipad as a helicopter landed.  The whiring of the blades was loud even with the beanie muffleing the noise.  A man stepped out and opened the door.  A tall kid that looked a bit Asian stepped out.  He was wearing a pink polo, khaki shorts, sandals, and a pair of shades.  He had a duffle bag similar to mine.  He stepped out of the copter and walked towards us.  Roxie motioned towards him looking at Dave with an annoyed expression.

“Greetings my dudes, Kenji is here so let the party commence.”  The boy declared while the chopper flew away.  “Put this in my room,” he tossed his bag at me, how arrogant is this dude.  I tossed the bag at his now turned back as he spoke to Darius.

“Do I look like a porter to you?”  I asked annoyed as he fell to the ground.  He got up and turned towards me, glaring about to speak but not able to find the words.  I simply responded to his challenge with a small smirk and a shrug.  I noticed Brooklynn recording the entire thing as Roxie walked between the completed group of campers.

“All good?  Let's go,”  she and Dave headed to the car and we followed behind.  While the others got in using the back of the trunk. Me and the lone wolf vaulted over the sides.  I took a seat next to Brooklyn hearing the Shutter snap.  Darius took a seat next to me with Kenji squeezing between the both of us pushing him into the corner.  The others sat on the other side of the bed.  Dave shut the tailgate playing a small beat on the side of the truck before entering the passenger side humming to himself.  The engine started and the car lurched forward causing us to be thrown back.  Small gasp of surprise sounded from all of us as we quickly found the seat belts and buckled in.  I hope camp isn't too eventful, I thought to myself as the car sped into the jungle

Author note:  sorry for a late update life got busy and I've been catching up on a bunch of schoolwork.  I think I'll have a goal of over 1000 words per chapter.  I hope I didn't go into to much detail and members of Katelyn's team will be mentioned throughout the story with some background eventually added... don't know when though.  Also I want to try my hand at  maybe doing ship stuff.  So who should It be?  Sammy and Yaz are no goes, if you know you know.  Thanks for reading and don't be afraid to comment.  Bye