Chapter 6: The Drive Back

An awkward silence fell over our small group as the car sped through the dark jungle. Brooklynn was looking down at her phone, her worried face illuminated by the screen. Darrius's eyebrows were scrunched together, his eyes looking around rapidly, and his leg bobbing up and down rapidly.. He's worried about what's going to happen. I would be too in his place. I felt pity for Darius even though he was the reason that Brooklynn, Kenji, and him were out there in the first place. Kenji on the other hand was acting cool about the entire situation. The look of shame had faded away replaced with a calculating look, almost like he was planning some way to get out of punishment. What are you planning Kenji? "Katelyn," Brooklynn says quietly, getting my attention. "How did you know where we were going, and that Darius and Kenji almost died?" There's a note of skepticism in her voice and gaze. I felt my body stiffen for a second before relaxing as I thought of a reply.

"Like I said I heard you guys planning, it took me a bit to piece together where you guys were going." I lied, "then I waited to see if you guys changed your mind and would come back, and you didn't." At least that part's true. Brooklynn nods, accepting my explanation so far. "And as for those two," I point at Kenji and Darius an edge in my voice, "I saw Dave yank them out of the enclosure pretty hard, with the raptor pacing at the gate, I connected the dots from there." Brooklynn accepted this explanation and turned back to her phone. I let out a silent sigh of relief as silence settles again. "What are you looking at?" I ask.

"The photos that Kenji risked his life for." She said, shooting a small glare towards the oblivious Kenji. "And a video..." Brooklynn looked at her phone confused before pressing on it to start the video. What sounds like the clicks of the raptor followed by Kenji and Darius screaming sounds. He must've started recording by accident. The ordeal plays out through the audio and I disappear into my thoughts. I wonder how Cooper would react to me having to use my abilities on the first day of camp. It sucks, I thought I got away from this, the only reason thst I have my communicator is if they need me. But NO these three had to be idiots and go sneaking out. I let out a small huff of annoyance mixed with agitation when the faint sound of something leaping off railing sounds from the phone. Followed by a growl and roar that doesn't belong to the raptors. It's me... I furrow my ears closer to my head, my tail curling around my leg at the tip. After a few minutes the sound of me shifting into my human form sounds. I move closer to Brook to see the video, and she angles her phone so that we both can see.

"Stay back" my robotic voice is fearful and quieter due to the distance. The recording shows my back turned towards the camera, a large M surrounded by a circle is center on my back, the logo of Mythcorp. MY hood is pulled up, only my cat ears show above it the pattern of a Bengal faintly visible. The lights of the enclosure highlight my black armor with streaks of luminescent white. My tail sticks close to my right leg as it thrashes in rebellion the fear I was experiencing then. Roxies voice sounds above faint to be heard before I turn towards the camera and bolt. This shows my black reflective visor and the M logo on my chest as well. Then the video cuts to an end.

"Who or what was that?" Brooklynn asks herself.

"I don't know" Darius cuts in looking fearful at the reminder of events. "But I'm glad they intervened when they did." You're welcome. "Although I've never heard of shapeshifting being possible, like ever." Darius looks thoughtful alongside Brooklynn who seems to be trying to remember something.

"I swear I've seen that symbol before..." Her face lights up before she quickly types something in her phone, opening Google before doing so. "That symbol belongs to Mythcorp. I'm sure of it." The excitement in her voice causes me to soften my tightened muscles. She shows a photo of the same logo linked to an article. 'Mythcorp; who or what are they?' "But I don't think they have anything to do with Jurassic world..." Brooks' voice drops as she looks confused again.

Before she can think of something else the car comes to an abrupt stop. The treehouse illuminated above along with the jurassic logo made of rocks below. It's kind of a pretty sight. Toxie and Dave come round back as we exit the vehicle, Brooklynn pocketing her phone. Roxie doesn't look too happy, as well as Dave standing behind her. "You two," Roxie says pointing to Kenji and Darius, "wait for me and Dave in the lounge." When Kenji and Darius are gone she turns toward Brooklynn, who looks guilty. "I'm going to give you a warning for sneaking out. If Katelyn hadn't gotten us then something worse would've happened. But I need you to explain what happened at the pen before we got there."

Im back. This chapter is a bit shorter than usual by quite a bit but this is just a filler chapter. I'll be back with more soon. Schools almost out and then I'll have more time if I don't find a job first. 🤣 but seriously sorry for being late with this update but I defeated writers block, haha. Also thanks for 300 reads it means a lot. Until next time.
Bye 👋