36. Harvest moon

I slowly got up from my nap, and noticed I was still in my dirt stained clothes I worked in today. I just collapsed of exhaustion. I had no energy left to even care to change into something clean.

Outside, their howls echoed through the territory, calling each other in a symphony of unity and strength. The wolves were starting their festivities.

A sense of loneliness washed over me as I listened. It's a constant companion that haunts my every step, leaving me feeling forgotten. My world seemed desolate and empty, mirroring the emptiness that resided within me, a void that no amount of distraction could fill. While the wolves will be dancing and singing under the moonlight, I'll be alone with my thoughts and demons.

The wolves always held gatherings in the pack as far as I can remember. It was a time for them to bond and strengthen their ties as a pack.

Slaves like me were never allowed near such celebrations; we were deemed unworthy of joining in on their joyous occasions.

Yet I'd always been curious and had to sneak a peek from the rooftop of the shack. I was a loner but I often wondered what it would be like to dance around the fire with friends, to laugh and drink without a care in the world. You could say, at times, I was envious of their togetherness. They were loyal as a pack and supported each other if need be. I had no one. The humans in the pack were too scared to form bonds with one another, let alone with someone like me.

I can't deny there's a part of me that would have liked to go. Even though I wanted to escape this place, I wanted to experience the festivities. Hell, I helped with the preparations. But deep down, I knew that this was where I belonged - on the outside looking in. Rory was so excited for me to go but my sudden appearance would ruin there fun. The truth was, I had no illusions of being welcomed. This night was not for me, a slave destined an outsider.

Stretching out my sore muscles I noticed a basin with water and a small mirror. Curiosity piqued, I wondered why such a thing would be here in my room. I knew those kind of courtesies where for high rank wolves. I would have to bring the warm water jugs early to their doors. The stars know how much I hated that. They were even more cruel in the early morning light.

Gosh! It's been ages since I'd looked at myself. I had been avoiding it out of fear of confronting reality. With trembling hands, I picked up the mirror and stared at my reflection. The once-plump cheeks had vanished, replaced by hollow, frightened ones. My skin was pale and parched, as if I was wasting away.

A sigh escaped my lips. "What did you expect, Ella?" I whispered to myself.

This was the inevitable result of living in the wretched conditions I had been subjected to.

Next, I noticed my hair had grown a bit, but it was still uneven, just as I remembered it being yanked for washing with the stolen soap from the washroom. Only after being punished by Alpha Steele's Beta, who cruelly cut it, did it become lifeless and coarse.

What was attractive about me?

And the answer echoed back: "Nothing."

I placed the mirror back down, feeling a mixture of emotions swirling within me. Suddenly, I was startled when a knock at the door pulled me from my pity party. It was Iris and Rory's mom. In hand, she carried a bundle of clothes. "I know you're not feeling your best," she said with a warm smile, "but I brought you some clothes to change into, and maybe come with us to the festival."

I hesitated for a moment, but then gratefully took the clothes from her. It was a long, grey and red skirt and a soft grey sweater.

This is Nev, as you know Rory's mom. Iris introduce her.
"We're here to help you get ready," Nev said.