Book 1: Sun. Chapter 2: Awaken.

After several weeks of training, Sahku improved his control over earth and rocks. Though he wasn't a badgermole, he certainly couldn't be called defenseless against his comrades who acted as adversaries.

However, he still couldn't rest well. Besides the absence of the desert breeze rocking the sand, Barié still had it out for him. He hadn't done anything to him yet, but Sahku felt like he was being watched constantly.

The sandbender took advantage of these sleepless nights to follow Hoggu's advice, trying to feel the fine sand particles hiding in the metal. Almost everything in the dormitory was made of platinum to avoid accidents, except for personal items. Sahku had some spare change that he planned to spend on their next day off, and that's how he spent his hours, trying to make them levitate.

The deafening silence of those metallic cells helped with concentration. However, the coin only moved when Sahku's arm got tired from holding it and his hand began to tremble. The first time this happened, he was excited; he would have even danced if it weren't for the time. But when he realized what was really happening, he became desperate and thought it would be easier to try to do metal bending in dreams.

Every week, as usual, there was hand-to-hand combat training. Recruit Sandbag had clearly improved since his confrontation with Hoggu; obviously, having earthbending on his side had helped, especially when it came to not getting hit by a flying rock. However, he still hadn't managed to defeat any of the comrades he had fought against.

As for field training and team activities, he was no longer the burden to protect. They entrusted him with more interesting tasks than staying in the rear.

On one of those days of field activities, Captain Yiohdo assigned Sahku as the leader of the white team and Hoggu as the leader of the rival team.

"Listen carefully, princesses", Captain Yiohdo began, "we've recreated in this plot the battlefield scenario you'll encounter in the Northern Fire Islands. Jungle, undergrowth, and volcanic soil. I suggest you play your cards wisely and don't rush in recklessly. Keep in mind that those awaiting you there know the terrain infinitely better than you".

The teams were randomly assigned, but the most notable aspect was that Sahku ended up in command of Barié. The other brother ended up with Hoggu.

"You must mark your opponents with these paint capsules in the color of your squad. You can control them perfectly thanks to the pebble inside. If you get hit, you're eliminated and must leave the area. Is that clear?"

"Yes, Captain!" they all responded in unison.

In an unexpected move, the captain approached Sahku to speak to him privately.

"Son, Barié has it in for you. If you prefer, I can make a readjustment", the captain offered.

"Don't worry, sir, I'll handle it", Sahku assured him.

Yiohdo nodded solemnly and walked away. "I'll leave you to it. Proceed to your starting positions and devise a plan. You won't be able to mark your opponents until after the signal".

"Good luck, Hoggs!" Sahku called out.

"Good luck, sandbag!"

Sahku gathered his squad and quickly began issuing orders. Having fought alongside his comrades and seen how they performed on the terrain, he knew exactly who to assign each task to.

"Fang, Husei, Tempu, and Bator, dig trenches near lush trees, where there's plenty of shade and visibility is low. When you're done, hide in the undergrowth and stretch the cables over the trenches. I'll cover your cables with leaves and sand. That's how we'll trap them".