CHAPTER 44: Magic Missile

An hour later, everyone reconvened in the classroom. After reproaching the stragglers, Professor Bayley led the class out into the courtyard.

"I trust you've all had a chance to rest," he started, his eyes scanning the group. "Now, we'll be moving on to the practical aspect of the examination, which will be split into two sections: mana output and melee prowess."

As they assembled, the students' attention was drawn to an impressive array of wooden weapons neatly arranged on a rack. Swords, shields, spears, maces, bows and arrows, and a variety of other options were available.

Along the stone wall stood wooden targets and training dummies crafted from straw and fabric, while various other types of training equipment were scattered throughout the courtyard.

"I'd like each of you to divide into three groups," instructed Professor Bayley, punctuating his instruction with sweeping gestures. "Group A will be for those seeking assessment in mana output. I'll provide a Magic Missile spellbook for those without attack skills to ensure no one has an unfair elemental advantage. Group B will consist of those aiming for assessment through melee attacks, and Group C will be a combination of both."

Among the adventurers, only Daisuke situated himself within Group C; he couldn't pass up the opportunity to receive a free skill, and he was also curious about magic.

"Pff."

A stifled chuckle escaped the crowd, which was swiftly followed by raucous laughter from the players. Some laughed to the point of tears, while others rolled on the ground. Osten, in particular, relished the moment. For once, Daisuke found himself on the receiving end of widespread mockery.

"Look at this guy," one player jeered. "Did he really create a hybrid build? Who the hell does that?"

"Clearly this noob has never played an MMO in his entire life," another chimed in. "Both his physical and magical attacks are going to be complete garbage."

"What a moron," someone else added. "He'll start feeling the burn eventually."

"Heh. I thought he was cool, but he's actually just a noob."

Daisuke remained focused on the horizon, his attention unwavering despite the clear audibility of insults hurled his way. Interestingly, it was his Beastfolk supporters who seemed more agitated and offended.

"Ahem," Professor Bayley cleared his throat, instantly quieting the crowd. "Group A will go first," he declared, conjuring the necessary skillbooks with a flick of his wand. They materialized from a magical bag attached to his hip, a feat made possible by space-time technology, which essentially created an alternative dimension for inventory storage.

Daisuke, alongside the other members of Group A, extended their hands to retrieve the books as they descended gracefully with the aid of levitation magic. His fingers made contact with the smooth leather surface of the green hardcover book, and he noticed a magic circle engraved on the cover. As he flipped it open, the text inside shimmered with a radiant blue hue.

DING!

[Would you like to learn the spell «Magic Missile» from the spellbook?]

Yes.

[The spell «Magic Missile» has been successfully acquired.]

[Magic Missile]

Rank: Normal

Classification: Active Skill

Lvl: 1

Proficiency: 0%

A fundamental skill for novice mages, Magic Missile compresses mana into cone-shaped projectiles and hurls them at the target.

Skill Effect: