Chapter 2

RUTH AND NAOMI

Two women sitting side by side look pensively at each other as the plane begins it's gliding descent towards Ghana's Kwame Nkrumah international airport. They hold unto their seats firmly, apprehensive about not just the plane's touch down, but about everything that awaits them in Accra, herein after. They say a prayer, hopeful, anticipating good things, new beginnings. Fifteen minutes later, the sweltering heat of the midday sun greets them as they step down in file from the aircraft, a heat so fierce, so unexpected, and so eager to begin the disillusionment process, that it crosses each of their minds, the very same thought: have they made a mistake?

After a haranguing thirty minute passport protocol and validation check in by immigration officials, they are cleared to proceed to baggage claims. As they stand waiting with other newly arrived passengers at the luggage conveyor belt, they scan the airport with appreciation, grudgingly admitting it is better in it's organization of processes than that Zoo country they left behind. Eventually, their many large boxes come rolling out on the U-turn of the baggage carousel.

They are a bit bewildered at how confusingly alike all the luggages appear, it seems as if everyone who boarded their flight have cloned versions of their suitcases and boxes!
Naomi exclaims, "What kind of bewitchery is this?"
"Let's look for our names on the tags," Ruth says, a fast thinker she is, usually calm in times of crisis.
They watch keenly as the luggages continue to roll out and soon recognize theirs, which they carry off the carousel's U-turn. Their things look like a mini mountain, reminding them why their travel expenses for this trip cut really deep into their minimal budget. Ruth had opposed it from the onset,
"I told you we should not have brought all these clothes and memorabilia with us!" They struggle to mount the heavy burdens unto trolleys, making their way towards the exit of the terminal and towards an array of waiting airport taxis. They ignore all the cat calling drivers, moving towards an ash blue Volvo saloon with a very big boot and wide back seat. As they approach it, they notice that there is a small black star symbol painted on all its sides; on seeing the women walk towards him, the tall dark complexioned driver gets out of the front seat and turns round to the other side to look at them eagerly. When they reach his car, they exchange greetings in English,

"Can you please take us to where we can get suitable lodgings for the night?" Naomi asks him politely.

The driver takes a look at their luggages, "First time in Ghana? Southern or Eastern Nigerians?"

Actually, they are from the oil producing Niger Delta, the greatly marginalized, impoverished South-South, "Why do you ask?" Ruth is wondering what gave them away.

"It is apparent from your very light skin, the way you dress, and the way you speak English!" he smiles, further explaining that they speak English 'sweetly.'

The women feel annoyed with this observation, but choose to ignore it, "Can you please take us to where we can get decent accomodations for the night?" Naomi repeats her request. He takes another, pointed look at their load.

"Yes, I can take you both anywhere you want... but my fee will be 1000 cedis only," he replies with that avaricious smile again.

"A thousand cedis!?" both women gasp, surprised.

"Yes, a thousand cedis only." he repeats, firmly.

Naomi shakes her head, "But why! Its too much! This is daylight robbery, Sir!"

He frowns, "No, no, no... ! Madam, no robbery here, just my due fee, you have many heavy bags, this will eat up petrol, everything is inflating in Africa, our economies are dwindling more by the day and it is no different in Accra! The market pricing is on the rise daily, petrol prices have soared rocket high, so 600 is for the journey to the hotel, and 400 is for your load, you see, I don't charge much at all!"