2

The following day, Shuichi thought of the cafe again while getting dressed. He worked at a detective agency, a job that he's very content with. He buttoned up his white shirt over his brown dress pants with the taste of the cappuccino in his mouth.
He brews coffee every morning but looking at how he has just over an hour before he actually has to leave (he prefers dressing up early and being able to sit on his phone or read for some time before work, it helps him get motivated) and debated going to the cafe he visited the day before.
He bit the inside of his left cheek and realized that there was no negative in going to a café that's right down the street. He put his coat on then left.
After a short 10 minutes-ish walk, it was a bad idea to walk to this café with penny loafers on. After some cramps, he finally reached the café. Just now Shuichi finally read the name, Silk Petal Café. It used to be called Ground Up, Shuichi guessed that it had been bought.
He opened the door, the bell rang like it did yesterday, and a woman was ordering, Rantaro was working again. After the lady took her drink and left, Rantaro moved his gaze to Shuichi and dawned on the same smile "What could I make you today?"
Shuichi answered "just a small cappuccino with caramel syrup" and he got the five dollar bill out of his wallet.
Rantaro nodded and turned around, Shuichi watched him brew the coffee. His sweater was a geometric pattern with brown and green colors today, Shuichi appreciated the color palette of the café and Rantaros clothes.
Rantaro turned back around "here you go" Shuichi smiled and paid him, then with the change, put it in the tip jar. Just like the day before.
He went to go sit down at one of the booths but Rantaro called his attention from behind him.
"Wait- excuse me"
Shuichi turned around quickly out of confusion, maybe it came off as bothered.
"Sorry to ask but, were you here yesterday?"
"I was, why?"
Rantaro dug into his pockets and grabbed some keys "are these yours?"
Shuichi walked up to the counter and looked at them "no, why?"
"Oh, sorry" Rantaro chuckled, which Shuichi thought was cute, but he shook away the thought "it was on one of the booths"
Shuichi nodded "I'm sure the person will come back looking for them" he returned to the booth and sat down, he drank the coffee while reading the signs on the wall in front of him. He turned his head for a second and saw the barista looking at him, then averted his gaze when Shuichi saw him. He tilted his head in confusion, and a little bit of uneasiness, then finished his drink. He left holding back his want of glancing behind himself to see if Rantaro was still looking at him.

— — —

After his enjoyable 9 to 5, Shuichi dropped his keys onto his counter, took off his shoes and put his coat up. He didn't bother changing into more comfortable clothes before he slumped onto his couch. He looked up at the ceiling, calming down from being tired through slowly blinking.
Five minutes later, he finally had enough energy to take a shower then watch some TV or eat, or whatever else he wanted to do. He saw the styrofoam cup with the name of the café on it in the trash and sighed. It always feels nice to find something new to fit into your routine, Shuichi was needing something to start looking forward to again.