9. Stace's Old Home - Noon

Exterior shot of an old home.

Cuts to interior.

At an old small home in the slums of the city, Stace closes the door behind them both as they enter.

River
(Uncomfortable)
W-Where are we?

She looks around at the weathered walls of this empty abandoned abode.

Stace
(Still upset)
My home, that's where.

River
Your... Home?

River turns to see Stace rubbing the chipped paint on the once pure white walls.

Stace
(Subdued)
Yeah... My family and I used to live here.

River
F-Family? Where are they...?

Stace
Gone.

River
Gone...? A-As in...

Stace
(Subdued emotion)
Dead. Two sisters, a brother, and my mother.

River
And your... Your father?

Stace
He left us. I don't... I don't know where he went. But wherever he is... I hope he rots.

Scratches the wall in anger, chipping more of the paint.

River
(Saddened)
I... I never knew about this. I never knew you... Lived like this. Why didn't you ever tell me...?

Stace
Because I wanted to forget. But... It seems I can't.

She turns to look at River.

Stace
That's why I'm upset. I lived in the slums, my family starved to death, and I only survived thanks to getting a position at the castle. Free bed and three meals a day. Then I met you, and got to be your lady-in-waiting. And you... You...!

She clenched her hands together.

Stace
(Angry)
You got me to help you sneak out... And if it's discovered, my position could not only be jeopardized, but I could be kicked from this new lease on life altogether!

Not knowing what to say, River walks over to hug Stace, who pulls away from it.

River
(Surprised)
I-I'm sorry... If I'd known...

Stace
(Still upset)
Whatever. Let's just go, and I'll... Deal with it on my own.

Camera shows side profile of the two juxtaposed before cutting again.