Prologue

Thrusters slowly engaged as the hissing noise erupted from the slow take-off.

"T-minus 1 minute!" a commanding officer said as gunshots muffled the cockpit's sensors even though they were in space. 

"Enemy craft approaching!" another voice shouted through the coms, coming from the bridge. The woman on the coms was panicked as the hanger that housed the 12-meter-tall death machines exploded open, revealing an even bigger machine holding a bazooka in its left hand. 

"Right on us!" A soldier's voice cracked in the heat of the moment before a suddenly light shined from above. Then a laser struck down, causing a blueish green hue of light to flash as the beam connected with a barrier, circling the machine as it surrounded it in flash, before seemingly disappearing. The Machine looked up before a flash of light from its shoulders and then pushed it back in a quick motion before it opened fire with its right-hand automatic ballistic weapon.

"Our Knight has come to save the day, boys and girls! Let's get  ourselves into the fray!" The female commanding officer shouted as she pushed the controls of her machine forward, causing the mech to release itself from the wires that held it. Before she could even reach their foe, it, with superior speed, seemingly shined a flash of light again, evading her obvious shoulder charge, leaving her wide open on her back side, where the armor was weak and her thrusters were. 

"Ms. Kirika!" Timmathy, a solider of hers, or brother is more fitting, shouted as he grabbed a rifle and shot, with perfect accuracy, towards their foe. Smoke and flames filled the atmosphere, pushing Kirika and her machine back from the shock wave. Not even a second later. 

"We can't move! NOOO!" Multiple voices shouted in unison before they were silent in a flash as their foe took out all of them with a single shell. 

"So... Much firepower..." Kirika murrmered under her breath, before looking over to see the carnage unfolding before her. Flickers of lights, looking like dancing stars in space, before the sudden light of explosion soon follows. There were only three... Compared to their dozens of forces. 

"Move!" a male voice shouted at her as she snapped back to attention and saw the face of the killer mech before her. Its four glowing eyes shined a deep red, sending shivers down her spine at the sight. The head looked anything but human-made, almost animalistic-like—different from her mech, which had a box-like shape and the knightly appearance of the appropriately named Knight. Kirika pushed her controls back to try and move away from this beast, switching through the selection and stopping on the two machine guns on the hips. The machine picked them up independently, and she started to fire. 

The bullets didn't even touch the machine, as that blueish-green glow formed a dome around it, easily swatting away her attacks. 

"You're Gen can't keep up with that thing! Get out of there!" That same struggling male voice shouted as he rushed in with its badly damaged Knight. A missing left arm, with oil leaking, a side of its face was shot clean off, and holes riddled the machine. 

"I...It did that to a Knight?!" Kirika stared in disbelief. Her arms couldn't move as the explosions of their quickly falling comrades soaked up the sea of stars. She was petrified as this unknown enemy easily maneuvered around the Knight, who desperately fired off its weapon and missiles. With a string of lights, it moved around the ship she had just moved from before, turning in a millisecond around and firing off rounds with its assault rifle. And shot all eight missiles down with ease before firing off shots toward the Gens. 

Kirika clenched her teeth and moved her machine down. Some hits grazed and easily damaged her machine, even though they weren't direct hits. Alarms blared as she grunted from the hits. Trying to return fire, in a desperate plea to fight back, she didn't even notice the now floating Knight above her.

"R...Run..." The male voice said before a sigh released from his lips, signaling his last breath. Kirika, with no other option as her bullets were getting eaten by the barrier, turned her machine around and pushed it to its maximum gear, only to see, within a flash, her foe easily and effortlessly caught up to her. Stopping her momentum, Kirika's eyes widened as everything went in slow motion. Her life flashed before her eyes. In one last attempt to fight back, she opened fire, even though when she did, the unstoppable monster had already shot and pierced the cockpit, knocking it off balance as it shot its weapons. 

The foe turned its attention to the ship and quickly dispatched it within seconds. The explosion went off once it was finished. Kirika's body wasn't able to be recovered because the cockpit practically exploded inside once the bullet hit. Nothing but a piece of her finger floated in space... With a ring from her late husband.

The day was Distortion Century, July 13, 096. It was a day when the monsters, known as Apexes, made their first sortie. Easily dominating top-of-the-line Gen's, such as Knights, who were at the top, and Regulars mass produce war machines. With their arrival, the face of war had changed entirely.