Chapter Twenty-Six. Good Old Days

Bal and Kaya stood reading the tiny note Brienne took out of the hawk's leather bag. All three were silent but for a different reason. Kaya couldn't understand a word. Unlike the spoken word, Lumerix, which was common for most of the lands, both in Grailand and the neighboring territories, Astefix—the written language of Grailand, was not taught or learned in Feringor.

Brienne was silent because she was trying to figure out how much supplies the proposed journey required. Always a thrifty one, she already knew they were criminally low on wolf keepers and their simple arcana spell protection potions were thinning out.

Bal was not silent - he was speechless.

The note contained astronomical calculations arcanists of the Crying Tower made during the night of the Harvest Festival, to figure out the riddle in the prophecy, given to High Wielder Priam by the Scholars of the Stone Temple.

According to the prophecy written by the elder Eb-Al-Aid, the place for the Sister stone should reveal itself during the night when two moons become one. Following the star in the tail of the Tiger constellation, they found the place where Bal and Brienne were tasked to take Kaya.

"Farbellan Hills?" Bal finally broke the silence. "Are they joking? Farbellan Hills?"

"What?" Brienne looked at him with puzzled eyes.

"Brienne. Think."

Brienne frowned connecting dots in her head. Finally, she understood what Bal was trying to say and rounded her eyes in disbelief. "Oh, my Five Gods! The Devour!"

"What? What does it mean?" Kaya blinked blankly, looking at Bal and then at Brienne.

Bal took the note and read it again, and then furiously threw it away.

"Crap! You know what pisses me off? When it comes to those damn prophecies, and the magic and the stone, it always has something to do with the darkest of places in Grailand. I mean, just for once could they say "Bal Harriott, your journey will lead you to the Picksburry pub in the Billinfort village." But no! No. It is always some deep shithole filled with unimaginable terror!" Bal kicked a tree but didn't measure the power and almost broke his thumb.

"Damn it!" He cried, grasping the feet and falling to the ground. "I hate Grailand."

Giving up her attempts to get any adequate information from Bal, Kaya turned her eyes full of hope to Brienne.

"Farbellan Hills were the birthplace of Queen Freye, and Freye family domain. The Ikalot family destroyed Farbellan Hills many years ago, turning once thriving town into a slave mine. And then, years later, something dark appeared there. Something even the wielders loyal to Ikalots couldn't explain. We call it the Devour because rumors tell it feeds on souls. The mine was abandoned, and a wall was built around the Hills," Brienne finished her history lesson and came closer to Bal, lying on the dirty ground, accepting the inevitability of doom.

"Come on, Bal. There's plenty of land across Farbellan Hills. Perhaps, we won't have to go to the mine," she tried to calm him down.

Bal didn't move a muscle, with his face against the twigs and dirt he mumbled, "You know damn well it's the mines. Whenever there's magic—there's trouble."

Brienne hesitantly glanced at Kaya.

"He'll be fine," she said, knowing Bal's occasional tantrums.

This one, however, wasn't groundless. Farbellan Hills were known around Grailand as a place to avoid. Not only were they feared, but three hundred years ago, during the reign of Lucio Ikalot, a great wall was built around those lands, to prevent whatever existed in the damned mines from coming out and spreading darkness over the nearby lands.

"We're going to need so much more than simple keepers," Brienne muttered, going through her handbag.

Kaya, meanwhile, approached lying Bal and sat next to him.

"I am sorry I got you into this mess," she started, but Bal turned on his back, interrupting her.

"Don't be. It's not your fault."

"The people in the temple said this journey is of great importance," Kaya tried to cheer Bal up.

"People in the temples, castles, and palaces always say the journeys are of great importance. Yet, I haven't seen any of them going on one. A little help would've been appreciated," Bal grunted, raising to his elbows.

As he was about to stand up and dust off the dirt from his face and clothes, a large creature landed right next to their bonfire. Bal, Brienne, and Kaya stared at the creature, speechless, much as they were a couple of minutes ago.

A beautiful Hawkerine shook its head, stomping his leg with three sharp claws on it, and let out a long, loud screech.

"Thanks?" said Bal, not sure if his gratitude was necessary. Decision-Maker turned his black dots for eyes at the group and tilted his beak as if studying the three unlucky companions.

You two bore me already. You, child, are different. I'd like to have a conversation with you, while we fly. Think, child, and I will think in response.

All three shared confused glances.

"Did the bird just whistle something I understood?" said Brienne, her mouth wide open in shock.

"It just called us boring," Bal replied, slowly raising to his feet and keeping his eye on the bird.

Ignorant human. Would you prefer to be called it, too?

Kaya approached the Hawkerine and carefully touched its firm feathers, more resembling a lizard's skin.

"Master Decision-Maker invites us for a ride," she said, beaming. "How breathtaking."

"Alright," Bal raised his hand. "Can I have a say in this wonderful tea party? Thank you. First of all, Master Decision-Maker, hi. My name is Bal Harriott. And it would be my greatest pleasure if you could tell us where the hell are we flying and who sent you?"

Hawkerine gave Bal a long stare.

Freye bloodline

"Why does everybody keep saying that," Bal mumbled.

I shall take you to Merien. You will continue your journey from there. Those were the requests.

Bal nodded, calculating how many days of walking this flight would save them and liking the numbers, "That is mighty convenient. But whose request, again?"

Enough empty talk. We shall take off now.

Bal and Brienne shared a glance. Brienne hesitated and crept back a few steps.

"Bal. Not even Five Gods themselves can make me fly on this thing," Brienne said, struggling to swallow a lump in her throat and shaking her head.

"Come on, Brienne," Bal said in a low voice. "You've climbed stranger things back in the good old days."