Five༄Spirits

Breezepaw had been having such a lovely time. She and Firepaw had been playing another game: "who's the best at convincing the other apprentices something stupid." It was Floraclaw's idea- she'd slyly whispered it to them as she passed them to 'talk about the boring stuff with the deputies.' Her words.

'Obviously.' She'd said to Oakpaw of FallClan. 'Have you ever even seen a squirrel?'

'Uh- from time-to-time.'

'So how would you know what they're like?' She pressed. It was all she could do to stop herself from bursting out with laughter. He was falling for it!

'I wouldn't, I guess.' He shrugged.

'So there you have it. Baby squirrels are hatched from nutshells. Obviously.'

'Huh.'

'You learn something new every day.' She smirked.

Firepaw was not having the same luck she was. 'And then,' he recounted, 'I looked at the fire- stared it dead in the eyes- and told it to stop burning. And it just stopped, like that.'

'Uh-huh.' The WolfClan apprentice rolled her dark blue eyes. 'And then the fire gave you a hug, did it? Apologised for being a naughty little fire and went back to sleep?' She deadpanned.

'Humour him, 'kay?' Breezepaw laughed. 'He's not quite right in the head.' She mock-whispered.

'You can be sure of that.' The WolfClan cat meowed. She was mostly white with a few patches of grey, with large dark blue eyes.

'We're playing a game.' Breezepaw explained. 'That I have easily beaten him in. I beat him in everything; I'm just the best like that!'

'Well, then, The Best. I challenge you to a duel.'

'Oh, you're so on!' This cat was going to be thrashed!

'Berry!' A cat called.

'My Dad's calling me.' She said. 'Um- meeting you- I liked it.'

'You too! Awesome, in fact. I'm Breezepaw, by the way.'

'I thought you just said you're The Best?' Her tone remained serious and almost monotonous, but there was a tiny glint in her eyes. 'Berry.'

'Tomorrow night!' Breezepaw called. 'Silver-rocks. We need this duel.'

'You'll regret that.'

Well, now it seemed that Breezepaw wouldn't even make it to the Silver-rocks. What was StarClan playing at, trapping them in the Star Hollow, anyway? And why them? They weren't Clan leaders or anyone special.

You're more special than you know.

'Who said that?' She yelped.

Listen.

She did so, bewildered. She heard nothing but the sudden rush of wind in her ears. Breezepaw loved the wind, especially as she ran or leapt across trees. It ruffled her curly pelt and danced around her.

It's nice to meet you, Breezepaw.

'Who are you, anyway?'

Turn around.

She obeyed the strange voice that she didn't really hear- not with her ears. The words just appeared inside her head and she responded to them.

A large, ghostly silver cat padded down to her. She folded down pure-white wings that sparkled and glittered- they were made of pure, white light, and softer than the softest bird. Her paws faded into the ground, and her tail was long, feathery and glowed with the moonlight. Her hazy, translucent silver fur was ruffled and windswept, and rippled in the moonlight. She dipped her head to Breezepaw, and Breezepaw dipped hers. Her eyes were bright and warm, but couldn't decide on a colour.