Chapter 1: Simple Beginnings

[Hey everyone! Enjoy this preview of my upcoming book. Let me know what you think in the comments! Hoping I can finish the whole book and publish it soon. Thanks for reading! - C.K]

Have you ever thought that your life would be better if you were living in a different age? Mindlessly imagining what life is supposed to look like; how it is undoubtedly meant to be. That's how I have consistently felt. A certain existence that is mine, but isn't mine... Like a dream you don't want to wake up from. My reality is curiosity, constantly begging to figure out what purpose I serve. If I ever discover the unknown, will I be happy? Will I truly know that I have fixed the differences thrown towards me? Or will I -

"Can I sit here?"

My mind stood blank. For ten seconds, I no longer heard my pondering thoughts as that silken voice had caused mindless chaos to cease. I looked up at golden, wavy locks and pure blue hues. She was strikingly breathtaking as the attraction would not let me stare for long. I craved this allurement for her and only her.

"I didn't mean to bother you... I can find somewhere else to sit if you don't want company."

Snap out of this strange silence and say something! She looked at me as if I was incompetent at conversing. Sitting alone during lunchtime wasn't new. Having a beautiful girl talk to me and wanting to sit next to me...Yeah, that was new.

"Wait- Yes," I blurted out, hoping this was enough to plead with her to stay.

She was taken aback by the sudden shout, but nodded in compliance. I pushed the plastic chair to the right giving her more space to sit beside me. She smelled of sweetened gardenia flowers as she took her place next to me. My mother loved them and would keep potted gardenias around the home. I never expected to detect that scent again after her passing five years prior. It was miserably empty without her around. My father was rarely home after her leaving. The life they built was permanently destroyed as I was the constant reminder that she would not be back.

"Are you new as well?" The earnest tone in her voice was inviting enough to keep talking.

"New to high school, but I've lived here my whole life."

"Is that right? My dad and I moved here about a month ago. His job won't let us stay in one place for long... I try to make the most out of being the new kid constantly, but having to start over and over... I'm struggling." She looked jaded as she answered. How could someone who sparks such luster on the outside feel so dimly inside?

"Being a freshman in high school isn't easy, but everyone is new technically. Maybe you're meant to travel to new places. Maybe that's what you'll do in life; be such a worldly sightseer," I attempted to reason with wisdom, but knew I was terrible at directing empathy lightheartedly.

"If that's true, then I really have made the most out of seeing all the states. I'll have to leave the country next!" She smiled. My eyes finally met up to hers and shared a longing gaze. Her cheeks were tinted pink from blushing and her lips curved into a modest smile. I half smiled back trying to stay mellow.

"What's your name?" She playfully poked at my bicep to draw the mood out.

"Tripp Fletcher."

"Ooo- Full name, now we're talking. I'm Winnie; Winnie Langford. If I really like you- It's Win," her voice was upbeat since we were getting somewhere.

"Well then, Winnie... It's nice to meet you," I smiled fully at her. She studied my whole face with a concerning scowl before replying back.

"Win... You can call me, Win."