22. Int. Dining Hall - Evening

Camera cuts to a wide-shot of the dining hall from above, showing River and Haden sitting side by side.

King Phosphorus walks in through the big doors.

King Phosphorus
Apologies, children, for being late. I've been overwhelmed with audience requests today.

He walks towards the table as the two wave, noticing them sitting right next to one another.

Haden
It is fine, your majesty. A ruler's job is overwhelming by nature.

King Phosphorus
Yes, quite. And I see that you two have gotten a bit closer, hm? See? Talking did wonders, didn't it?

Haden
Yes, it did.

He looks at River with a smile, and River blushes. They clasp hands at the table.

King Phosphorus walks around the table and sits down in his seat, the two to his right, River closest.

King Phosphorus
I am glad. This day calls for celebration.

Haden
As am I, your majesty. To wed the beautiful maiden you have raised, I am very grateful.

King Phosphorus smiles, his thick gray beard molding to shape it.

Not long after, the kitchen staff walks out with the first meal. A banquet truly fit for royalty with some wine.

King Phosphorus
This meal looks delectable. I am grateful to be able to eat this feast.

Everyone begins to eat, chatting away.

King Phosphorus sips his own wine, and Haden looks at him, holding up his own glass.

Haden
The wine is delicious. Is it made using your kingdom's own grapes?

King Phosphorus gives a hearty laugh.

King Phosphorus
(Laugh)
My goodness, no. Our wine is not this good because our grapes aren't too good. The wine is imported from the Chinglai province of the Abhedy Republic in the southern regions of the continent.

Haden
Ah, is it now? Well it's quite delectable. Please, give your dealer my compliments.

The two men share a laugh at this joke.

River smiles seeing this and the king turns his attention to her as the laughs die down.

King Phosphorus
Ah, River, I must ask. What caused you to rethink your previous view of young Prince Haden, here?

River looks at Haden and then back at her father.

River
I don't know... We just talked, and things went from there. He's quite courteous, so that undoubtedly helped to strengthen my view.

King Phosphorus
I see. Well, it's good that you were willing to give him another chance. Remember what you are meant to be doing.

River looks at the table.

River
(Subdued)
Y-Yes... Father.

Haden looks at River.

Haden
Your majesty, I also have taken it upon myself to request the kitchen serve a particular desert after dinner tonight. Peach Pie, River's favorite.

King Phosphorus
The thought and caring are unabashedly brilliant. I know that you two will one day make a wonderful couple.

Haden
Thank you, your majesty.

After this, the three continue eating, going through course one, then two, and finally dessert arrives. Takes nearly an hour altogether.

The kitchen staff haul out the desert and place it before each person.

Haden
(Kind)
Thank you.

Haden thanks a server.

River
Yum. Been so long since I've had it.

River laughs.

King Phosphorus
(Laugh)
As has it been for me. Well, without further ado, shall we-

King Phosphorus coughs.

King Phosphorus
What was-

He coughs again.

Before long, it descends into a total coughing fit.

Haden and River both stand in seeming worry.

River
Father?!

King Phosphorus
(Cough) (Cough)

King Phosphorus tries to stand from his chair, and tumbles to the left, continuing to cough on the floor.

River
What's happening?!

River rushes around to him and kneels beside him, panicking.

River
I-I don't know what to do!

King Phosphorus
(Cough)

He coughs, holding his throat.

River looks at Haden in a panic.

River
Help me!

Haden, who seemed to be stunned, snaps to it.

Haden
Uh- Right!

He runs to the dining hall door and runs out of it while River continues trying to help her father and not knowing how.

River
(Panic)
Father! Just hold on! I'm trying to help you!

Her father's coughing grows slower as he looks up at her and seems he's growing pale, guards rushing into the room with Haden following behind.

Haden
Do anything you can to help him!

The guards get over him and see if they can do anything, but it's futile. His pulse slows, his eyes close, and he stops coughing.

River
W-What?! What is it?! Is he okay?!

River can't see him anymore with guards over him.

One guard looks back at her.

Guard 1
I-I'm sorry, princess... Your father, the king... He's... He's gone.

The reality of those words hits River like a freight train, it seems fake to her mind as her grip with what's real slips away.

Camera distorts to show the weight of this devastating reality.

Camera cuts away.