Back to Bangalore

"Many of you may feel incapable of achieving something because you believe it isn’t destined for you. Trust me, there’s no such thing as destiny. You create your destiny,” Nitara said to the group of students before her, sharing her life story with conviction.

“But even our parents say you’ll have something only if it’s destined for you,” a student interjected.

Nitara smiled warmly. “Let’s assume destiny exists. As you know, I’m an alumna of IIM Ahmedabad. Now, if I hadn’t prepared for the CAT exam or appeared for it, but simply believed that IIM Ahmedabad was destined for me, would I have made it there? Of course not. That’s what I’m trying to convey. If I hadn’t worked hard and cracked the CAT, I wouldn’t have gotten into IIM Ahmedabad. Then I would have blamed destiny for my failure,” she said, eliciting laughter from the audience. “So remember, it’s your hard work and decisions that determine your future. If you want something, work for it.” The room erupted in applause.

As the students returned to their classes, the principal approached Nitara. “Thank you for taking this session today, Nitara. We’re extremely proud to have our former student, an IIM Ahmedabad alumna and now a VP at Goldman Sachs, back with us.”

Nitara smiled modestly. “Please don’t embarrass me by thanking me, ma’am. It's my duty to guide my juniors.”

“You’re returning to Bangalore today, right? Why so soon? Your mother told me you’re busy with work and rarely come home. You could have stayed for at least two days,” the principal said.

“We have our annual conference tomorrow, ma’am. I do visit home whenever possible. But now I must leave, or I’ll miss my flight. Take care, ma’am,” Nitara said, departing the school.

Nitara hugged her parents tightly before heading to the airport. Leaving home was always difficult for her, and homesickness often overwhelmed her upon returning to Bangalore. This was one reason she didn’t visit her home often.

During her flight, her thoughts lingered on the concept of destiny. “Destiny... Things would have been different if we hadn’t made that choice. We had a choice, and I hate myself for making the wrong one,” she whispered to herself, her eyes welling up.

By the time she reached Bangalore, the clock struck 7 PM.

At Bengaluru airport:

As Nitara arrived, a man leapt towards her, embracing her in a bear hug. “Welcome back, darling! I missed you, baby,” he said.

Nitara smiled, hugging him back. “It's okay.. I’m back now.”

“Hey Bhagwan, have you given this woman a heart of stone? Here’s a cute, handsome, innocent guy telling her he missed her, and all she says is ‘It’s okay’? Why, Bhagwan ji, why?” he said in a mock-tragic tone.

“But where’s that handsome guy?” Nitara asked, teasing him with a smile.

“Ouch! Bhagwan ji, did you hear that? My heart is broken. I think it needs surgery,” he joked.

Nitara lightly punched his arm. “Stop being dramatic, Rehaan!”

“Rehaan? You never call me by my name, baby. Is everything alright?” Rehaan asked, concerned.

“Yes, Rihu, everything’s fine. I’m just a bit tired,” Nitara replied.

“Just say, ‘I missed you too, Rihu baby,’ and you’ll feel better,” Rehaan teased.

“Hatt, (go away),” Nitara laughed. “By the way, I missed you, Rihu.”

“Ah, I knew it. You can’t stay away from your Rihu for more than an hour. Now let’s go home. Mummy has prepared all your favourite dishes. She’s been waiting for you,” Rehaan said.

“Really? Mummy has cooked for me? Then why are we still here? Let’s go,” Nitara exclaimed.

“Let’s go. I’ll help you carry the bag,” Rehaan offered.

“No, thank you. It’s just a single bag. I’m strong; I can handle it myself,” Nitara insisted.

“If you don’t let me carry it now, you’ll have to be strong at home too, baby doll. Remember the stairs? And for your information, the lift isn’t working,” Rehaan said playfully.

“Not again!” Nitara groaned.

“Why worry when you have me?” Rehaan said, taking her bag.

Nitara smiled as Rehaan slung the bag over his shoulder and placed his arm around her, guiding her to the car. She always felt special when he did this; it showed how much he cared for her and how important she was for him.

They reached the car, and Rehaan placed her bag in the backseat while she took the front seat.

“Shall we go home?” Rehaan asked.

“Let’s go!,” Nitara said.

They exchanged smiles, and Rehaan started driving.

(To be continued...)