The night everything changed

DANA'S POV:

As I walk into my house, I see candles everywhere and I smell food. When I see you, I immediately smile before going up to hug you. "You didn't have to do this.." I say, but she stops me. "But I wanted to, because I want this night to be perfect." she replies as she smiles. 

*time skip until after dinner* 

We're still sitting at the dinner table, chatting, laughing and drinking wine. Red wine, of course. We make jokes about work, life and Mulder. She makes me laugh so easily, it's almost frustrating sometimes. I enjoy making her laugh though. Just hearing her laugh completely melts my heart.

We continue doing so for a while, until she says "I should get going. I have an early flight tomorrow to see my mom, I'm sorry.." she kisses my forehead and hugs me goodbye. I look at my watch. She's right. Shit, how can it already be past 11pm? When she leaves, I feel saddened from not having her by my side anymore. 

I decide to go to bed. Honestly, I'm exhausted. I lay down and just within a few minutes I fall asleep. I wake up from something cold on my neck. As I open my eyes, I see a masked man standing over me. He has a knife against my throat. My instinct as an FBI agent is to pull out my gun, but I realize it's still in my belt, which is downstairs. I don't even try to move my head but I move my eyes over to the clock. 2:37am. Suddenly, I feel the blade of the knife gently touch my throat. I don't even move an inch, but it's enough of a movement for him to stick the knife into my shoulder and I gasp. 

He stabs my left thigh as well, and my stomach, before he leaves. I lay there, completely stunned. Because of the adrenaline rushing through my body, I can't feel the pain just yet. I suddenly feel motivated and I get the power to pick up my cellphone, slowly dialing 911. 

The dispatcher asks me a bunch of questions but I really don't have the energy to answer them. I tell them briefly where I am and what happened, as I feel the pain starting to get to me. Just minutes after, I hear sirens outside. But then, I hear a shot. My heart drops and I start sweating before I groan in pain. 

The paramedics and police officers search my house until they find me. I'm still in my bed, now covered in blood. They hurry to put me on the stretcher and they rush me out of my house. After that, I don't remember much, it's almost as if everything went blank.

YOUR POV: 

While I'm packing for my flight in the early morning, I get a call from an unknown number. I find it a bit strange but I pick it up. On the other end there's a nurse telling me that Dana had been in an attempted murder. The nurse tells me that she had been asking for me and that I should come down there. I briefly answer "okay". And I don't even hesitate before I cancel my flight and rush to my car. The hospital is only a few minutes away and I break at least 3 traffic laws on my way there. 

When I get there, I run inside to the reception and ask where she is. "Room 236, second floor." someone says and I don't even know who said it but I start running towards the escalator. While waiting for it, the most horrible thoughts cross my mind. What happened to her? I never should have left her alone. This is all my fault.

Finally, I get to her room. Dana's laying in a bed, asleep. I can't help but let a tear fall down my cheek as I sit beside her. She has lots of tubes in her and I hate seeing her like this, she can't do anything but lay there since she's so weak and vulnerable right now. 

I slowly grip her hand when all of a sudden she spasms a bit. The sudden movement made me jump a little but I'm still holding onto her hand. I wait for her to grip my hand back, but I know she won't.  Suddenly, the monitor beeps faster, which means her heart is beating faster. My heart also flutters a bit but I know that her heart is probably not beating fast because of me.

While I'm thinking about this, the monitor suddenly slows down. Her heart rate goes all the way from 88 down to 16. I yell for a nurse and the nurse comes running inside before she calls another nurse and a doctor. Suddenly, I get asked to step out because they're gonna attempt to save her. When I'm walking out, I hear the monitor go blank, just one long beep. I hear them say "clear" a few times as they give her electric shocks. 

After what feels like hours, a nurse comes out and tells me that they were able to get her pulse back, but that they had to keep her in an induced coma since her heartrate was very slow. I asked about how long she was going to be in a coma, but she just said that it could be days, weeks or even months. 

As the nurse walks away, I walk into her room again. I completely fall apart on the chair next to hers. I'm literally falling in love with her and now this happens? What the hell. I just want to kiss her, hug her or even talk to her again. Who knows for how long she'll be in here.  Her birthday is in two months, hopefully she'll be out by then.