29: Boss

Sinister gray shadows stealthily slink closer to me, like whispers of darkness.

Unseen hands from the ethereal realm extend towards my neck, tightly coiling a haunting noose. In a sudden, bone-chilling moment, my trachea convulses, shattering into helpless fragments.

"Storm! I want to go home."

My fingers flex, yet I refrain from grasping the hands that are depriving me of oxygen. If I make contact with them, they will compel my eyes to open, they will compel me to witness.

I don't want to see my Rain in there.

"when will we go home again Storm...hic..I...I want to go home, you are in pain, please let's go home."

He's crying holding my hand now, curled between my arms, his eyes swollen, a little gash on his lower lip which is trembling.

"Don't worry, sweetheart." Clinging desperately to his trembling form, my grip tightens with every ounce of strength I possess, refusing to let go even as waves of excruciating pain surge through every fiber of my being. Each breath I take feels like fire, searing through my lungs, but I am resolute. "I will not let him hurt you," I vow, my voice strained and determined, as crimson droplets trickle down my back, marking the cruel wounds left by the lash.

My head turns towards footsteps.

No.

"Little Rain, you've to hide, sweetheart."

"No, he'll hurt you again."

Curling my hands around his small waist I push him at my back with a painful groan. My little boy is so tiny, but even the lift of my fingers feels like I'm gonna die.

But I can't.

I can't.

"Here you are." The door burst open, his voice menacing as he strides towards us.

I close my eyes, holding rain behind me hard so he's hidden behind my body.

If I don't look, we'll be safe. If I don't look, it'll be all faster and he'll go away.

Or that's what I believe as his rough fingers dig into my neck, and crashing the only way gives me air.

"It's sad, how I can't touch this pretty little thing." He laughs, talking about my little rain."but, his price is so high and there are strict order not to touch him before the master does. But, after that this pretty thing will be ours to play."

"Fuck you." I spit on his ugly face, tightening my hold on rain.

"King"

"No..."

"King! Look at me."

"No!!"

"Boss!"

That's when my eyes open.

There's a ringing, loud and constant and without any breaks.

At first, I think it's all in my head. The voice. The pounding against my skull. The fucking shadows.

But the voice comes from Levi, who is shaking my shoulder from the driver's seat.

"It's Mikhail." I take the phone from his extended hand.

"Where is he?" I ask, my voice, cold and hard.

After the dreadful feeling, when I was unable to reach Rain, and saw a missed call from Lizzy, I knew something was fucking wrong. So, I called my senior guard only to find out that rain is missing.