1.

- CHAPTER ONE -

"A cule never betrays her team"

The pile of papers standing in front of me make me scream internally, dying to go and do anything else but... that. It is that much the amount of stuff that's laying on my table that I can't even see the dark wood peaking underneath. A good bunch of old newspapers, magazines to analyse, revise, take notes about... also books about random old men talking about journalism's sense in life and its course through the years...

Fuck me, myself and I.

Earlier that day, it was me who had that great decision, thinking that my few working neurons would be able to handle all that work and finish it. Besides, it's all stuff accumulated from weeks ago, and if I don't finish it today... well. If it weren't for Ruby, who didn't end up finishing her part of the work we were supposed to do in pairs, I wouldn't have to translate three entire pages of an article, now doubling the work.

I stare for the last time at the pile of work waiting for me, sighing, before getting into it.

First ten minutes, endless. Old local or independent magazines talking about fashion tendencies that were not really being followed back then; art dedicated copies, cuisine books... 
And finally, my favourite: sports.

After two very (very) long hours, some old copies of old sports magazines are the last ones left on the table. A smiley and degraded Tiger Woods is staring at me, with most part of the cover ripped apart, leaving only the golfer's smile and a trophy. The next one is about football, some news about a Belgian female team that had won an important international match twenty-ish years ago.

Another sigh.

Just when I am about to finish those damned papers, my phone buzzes repeatedly. 

Ruby.

"It better be something important." I scoff, holding back the imminent urge not to answer.

MESSAGES

< MA RUBYYY >

Ruby
hey girllll

Nora
what now bitch🙄

Ruby
I'M SORRY
I'M SO SO SORRY

Nora
jk girl hahah
let me guess... an alien abducted you
so you couldn't do your part of the work.