Chapter 6

January 24th, 2027

Apollo hadn't slept at all the night before.

All he could do was toss around like he was possessed, running the case details through his mind over and over again. There had to be a way out of this. His evidence had to be enough. He didn't know what he would do with himself if he failed Klavier, if he was the reason Klavier was locked up forever.

There was no doubt in his mind that Klavier was innocent. He couldn't possibly have committed murder. Apollo was so certain it kind of hurt.

Now, standing in the courtroom's lobby, Apollo took a deep, steadying breath. He had already obsessed over this for too long. After waking up in a blind panic too many times to count, he had finally given up and gotten ready at 5 am, with even enough time (and anxious energy) to do his chords of steel practice twice. He'd been rendered nearly mute, but at least now he felt a bit more powerful... though also a little like he could collapse at any minute.

It didn't matter. He couldn't collapse. Klavier needed him, and Apollo had to be there for him. That darkness still had its claws in Klavier, still lingered on him like the smell of smoke. Apollo had to pull it out once and for all. He had to wrench Mr. Gavin away from them both, away from this courtroom, away to the afterlife he had doomed himself to.

Apollo's teeth gnawed on his lip. Was Klavier's suspicion right? Would Mr. Gavin really orchestrate all of this just to get revenge on his brother? It seemed so unlikely, but the stamp and the nail polish had seemed ludicrous, too. Mr. Gavin didn't stop at any length to stop those he deemed a danger to him.

"Chin up, Apollo!"

Trucy appeared in front of him like— well, like magic— with her fists raised, determination burning in her eyes.

"Don't look so sad!" She urged him. "Prosecutor Gavin isn't guilty. There's no way we can lose!"

Apollo nodded. "Right."

Even through all of this, he had to have faith in the courts. His name was Justice, after all.

"And I'll be there with you, too!" Trucy said, pulling back with a reassuring smile.

"Thanks, Truce." Apollo felt like he was exhaling for the first time. Maybe they really did have a chance.

There was always that Emilio guy, after all. He was nothing but suspicious. Once he got on the stand, Apollo could press him for more information and finally figure out the truth.

"Ah, hallo Apollo, fraulein magician." Klavier greeted them with two respective nods.

"Morning." Apollo replied. It felt eerily like two days ago had, like their first court date. Klavier still had sunken-in eyes and undone hair, looking like a strange shadow of his usual self. "How are you feeling?"

"Herr Apollo," Klavier said with a small, forced smile. "You should know better than to ask."

"I guess so." Klavier couldn't possibly be feeling any better, especially with his lingering suspicion about the case— that this was all done on purpose, all to frame him.

"Don't worry, Prosecutor Gavin!" Trucy shouted, full of excitement. "You have Apollo on the case! He's the best lawyer our agency can offer!"

Apollo was flattered for the fleeting moment before he remembered he was the only lawyer at their agency. He was certain Trucy meant it as a compliment, anyways.

"You need not tell me, fraulein." Klavier said with a snap of his fingers. He almost looked genuinely pleased. "I am very familiar with Apollo's skill... ja? I chose him for a reason."