Chapter Eight

That evening as Aurélia tried to fall asleep, her mind kept wandering to the moment in the café with Enjolras. His ocean-blue eyes stared into hers as if he saw her and everything she was. She had never felt more understood in her entire life, much less a single look. It was ridiculous of course, he was simply looking at her but she felt seen. Once she was able to shake herself from the strange daze she was under, he had begun to speak.

She didn't know someone's words could enthrall her very being and yet there she sat, unable to even blink. He spoke with such ease and yet so passionately about his revolution; about the France he dreamt of. Just listening to him made her want the very same. When he finished speaking, she didn't realize she was still staring at him with wide eyes until he turned and glanced in her direction. She quickly looked down at the book in front of her, letting her eyes glide over the words.

"Come on, Aurélia, I'll walk you home." Marius said, offering his arm to her. She grabbed the small book off the table in front of her, gently tucked it into her dress pocket, and then took Marius's arm jokingly. The two started towards the door, but Aurélia forced them to a stop. She turned over her shoulder and looked at the revolutionary in red who had his nose buried in a book.

"Enjolras," He looked up almost immediately from his book. "Thank you for letting me attend this meeting. You truly do have a way with words." He stared at her as if trying to tell her a million things in that one glance. After a moment, a ghost of a smile graced his features.

"Bonne nuit, Aurélia." The redhead tossed and turned in her bed, thinking of the way he said her name. Even though she didn't tell people her name often, she had heard other people say it enough. And yet, it sounded as if he created the name himself. The sound of her name on his lips somehow felt so intimate. Aurélia didn't know what was wrong with her. She didn't know why her thoughts were focused on such trivial things.

When the sun had finally risen enough in the sky for it to be an acceptable hour, Aurélia climbed out of bed and changed into a blue dress as fast as she could. She caught her eyes in the mirror and noticed her knotted hair. She ran a brush through it then applied a bit of makeup to her face. She practically ran to the door, not noticing Marius staring at her.

"In a rush to get somewhere? It's still early, where are you going?" She turned to look at him, a sheepish smile spread across her lips. "Are you wearing makeup?"

"So what if I am?" Marius sent her a skeptical look and she let out a sigh. "I'm going to the café.  I'm hoping if the guys like me enough Enjolras will have no choice but to let me stay."

"And that's the only reason you're all dressed up?"

"Why else would I be?" Her eyebrows furrowed as she watched Marius hide his smirk behind his teacup.

"No reason." Aurélia debated arguing but realized it would simply waste time that could have been spent at the café.

"Well, I'll see you there." Even though she had to keep herself from running to the café, when she stood outside of it, she froze and stared up at the building. She had only been here a handful of times, but it somehow felt more like home than anywhere she'd ever been since she was a child. Even so, none of the men could even talk to her, much less trust her. Taking a deep breath, Aurélia pushed the thoughts from her mind and opened the door to the café.

Upstairs, a few of the men sat around tables and Grantaire nursed a bottle of wine. She stood at the door analyzing them for a moment, trying to figure out the best way to earn their trust.

"Ah! The prostitute returns! It's a bit early in the day for your services, isn't it?"

"And one would think it's too early for drinking but here you are." She said absentmindedly while pulling her book from her pocket and sitting at one of the tables. A few of the men who were paying attention snickered but didn't say anything. Aurélia let her eyes scan the pages for a few moments before looking up to see a few of the men staring at her. Once they met her eye, they quickly looked away. Letting out a sigh, she closed her book. "What's the matter?" They shook their heads and looked anywhere but her. "What is it?"

"We're all wondering why you're here." Grantiare said after a long swig from his bottle. Aurélia's eyebrows furrowed at his response.

"I'm passionate about the revolution, why else would I be here?"

"The revolution or a certain revolutionary?" Her eyebrows furrowed deeper and she tilted her head slightly to the side. "Oh come on. I know you and Enjolras have your little thing going where you run and he chases. I hate to break it to you but he's not interested. He already has a woman he's in love with. He is extremely loyal to her so if you're just here for him, you might as well leave."

"Is that all you think women are capable of? Falling madly in love with men and chasing after them? Well, I hate to break it to you, but I'm not interested in your leader and the last time I checked, he was the one chasing after me." She opened her book again and scanned the pages. "And I can't believe that man actually has a woman in his life. I mean come on, it's obvious that he only has eyes for his Patria." She spoke, nose deep within her book, not noticing the stares she received.

"Yes, exactly. How did you learn her name?" Aurélia closed the book and put it off to the side, suddenly invested in the conversion. "Did Enjolras mention her name to you?" Grantaire seemed so shocked by her words that his bottle was forgotten on the table.

"Let me get this straight. You all believe this 'Patria' is your leader's mistress, lover or something along those lines?"

"Who else would she be?" Aurélia let out a laugh.

"That man is so loyal to France he has all of his closest friends believing he is in love with it. Patria can be translated to Fatherland. He's in love with his country, not a woman." The men stared at her for a few moments then the roar of their laughter filled the room.

"How on earth did you know that?"

"My grandfather died in the revolution when my mother was a child. She gave the middle name Patria to my kid sister."

"You have a kid sister? Would she want to spend time with me and a few of my friends?" Asked a young boy around the age of ten who looked oddly familiar.

"She's at school right now but if she comes back I'm sure she'd love to! I don't believe we've been properly introduced, I'm Aurélia."

"You're the Aurélia they've all been talking about? The Siren?" A loud laugh escaped her lips as she looked at the men who looked away from her.

"I suppose I am."

"I'm Gavroche, pleasure to properly meet you. Thank you again for the bread you gave me a few days ago, that was very kind of you." The boy she gave the bread to. It seemed like a lifetime ago to Aurélia when it was simply days.

"You don't have to thank me, it was the least I could do," She said with a warm smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you as well.

"I've heard so much about you. Speaking of, would you sing for me?" A quiet gasp slipped past  Aurélia's lips, not expecting the question. "Please! They've said you have the voice of an angel and I'd love to hear it." A light blush colored her cheeks.

"I'm sure they're exaggerating-"

"Come on, Aurélia! Sing for us!" The redhead shot a glare at Grantaire. She swore that man was either going to become her best friend or worst enemy. She was about to protest but the eager looks from the rest of the men made her hesitate. Maybe if she sang for them they'd trust her more. She wasn't quite sure how the two correlated, but it was worth a shot.

She cleared her throat and began to sing an old lullaby her mother would sing for her as a child. She let her voice fill the space, but she looked at the men nervously, hoping she wasn't making a fool out of herself. What she didn't realize was that she wasn't just singing for the people in the room, but also the man in red who hid himself on the other side of the door to listen.