chapter three. alien from jupiter

Lola is sitting in the middle of the school hallway, between Bree and Chase. She leans back into her seat, trying to sort of the Rubick's cube that she got from Chase that morning while watching Leo scare off the girl Adam is flirting with. 

"Is he always this passionate?" Lola hands the cube back to Chase, all it's colors back in place. "Maybe a few words from his favorite superhero might help." Chase shoves her slightly but she shakes her head, remaining in her seat. "I don't see any superheroes here." 

"I'll do it." Bree gets out of her seat, walking over to her younger brother. "Leo, don't you think you're taking this too seriously?" She places a hand on his shoulder, and he looks lost. "I don't see it." His words are barely cold when a boy tries to walk past Lola, but he stops the boy with a metal detector. 

"Okay, you're free to go." He steps back and lets the boy pass when another boy approaches the group, "Hey guys, what's up?" He looks at the teens, but Leo blocks his path, pulling out his metal detector. "Your time, get out of here of here, creepy!" He points over the boy's shoulder and waits for him to leave but he doesn't. 

"Silly Leo," The boy walks past him, "Who's your new friend?" He looks down at the girl next to Chase, an eager smile on his face. 

"Don't talk to her." Leo blocks Lola from his gaze, she doesn't know why Leo doesn't like this boy, but she trusts his instincts even if he can be a little crazy sometimes. 

"Lola." She tries not to talk to him, and it helps that she can't see him with Leo in front of her. "Hey, I'm Marcus. Nice to meet you, sorta!" The boy calls, he does seem to be too excited. 

"So, did you guys hear that new froyo place is giving free topics?" Marcus asks, immediately grabbing Adam's attention. 

"Someone could have told me that before I filled my socks with gummies." Adam's comment makes Lola's brows crease. 

"No one was going to eat those, Adam. And I said I would pay for your topics." Lola did promise him that once they could go out, she would get him all the topics he wanted. 

"Now you don't have to, because they're free." Adam cheers. 

"Well, too bad we can't go," Leo turns to the group and they all know he's right. "Yeah, we can't make it." Chase turns to the boy and Lola is slightly irritated that she's the only one that can't see him. 

"Yeah, we have a lot of chores." Bree lies. 

"We don't have chores, just an uptight dad who's scared that we'll reveal our secret." Adam scoffs at his sister's lie. "Yeah, they're harboring an alien at their house. It's me." Lola pushes Leo out of her way, smiling at Marcus. 

"Oh my God, she's funny." He laughs, "Where did you come from?" He asks, he had never seen her before that day. 

"Jupiter, it's really cold." She nods and he laughs again, unaware of the fact that she isn't joking. 

"Oh, that works! Let's go!" Adam yells, slightly proud of Lola's lie as he and the rest of the group run out of the school building, leaving Leo behind. Lola is the first to notice that he isn't with them before she runs back, grabbing Leo's arm. 

"Bye Marcus!" She yells when she drags Leo out with her.