CHAPTER ELEVEN

London, England 1813

An invitation directly from the Queen herself was a highly regarded piece of paper, indeed, but as Francis toyed with the flimsy note in his hands, he couldn't help but to wonder what ulterior motive was at play here. He had known Charlotte since they were teenagers when she first arrived to come live in England. He knew what kind of twisted games she was capable of and the lengths in which she would go to remain victor. He had spent many years dodging every single one... Except this one it seemed.

The Queen may not have had many close friends, but she had always kept Francis Morrigan nearby. She liked his integrity and the fact that family mattered more to him than anything. He had honor and courage to love so boldly. And Charlotte had admired that dearly.

His eyebrows furrowed as he paced throughout the foyer, deep in thought over the silly envelope in his hands. Betty watched from the archway to the sitting room as her father continued to walk back and forth rather quickly. "What's that?" She spoke up, causing him to whip his head in her direction.

He turned towards the voice, seeing his daughter leaning against the wall. His eyes softened when he saw her, and he visibly relaxed. "Oh, nothing. Well, it's the Queen-"

A loud gasp could be heard from the sitting room, then the sound of pounding steps running into the foyer. "The Queen?!" Inez came barreling through the doorway, pushing her sister out of the way. Betty stumbled a few steps forward, reaching out for the wall to catch her balance. "Well, go on! What does it say?" She asked, rocking back and forth on her heels as she awaited her father's response.

"You are addicted to gossip, Inez." Betty scolded her sister as she dusted herself off and folded her arms over her chest. "It's rather shameless..." She mumbled under breath.

"It seems she has invited Violet and I both over for an afternoon tea." He replied. He handed the card over to his daughters, "See for yourself."

"What could the Queen possibly have to talk to you about?" Betty questioned, taking one good look at the card before dropping the invitation down at her side. 

He scoffed in response. "I- I am perfectly good company to keep, I will have you know!" Francis wagged a finger at his daughter. "The Queen and I have been friends-"

"Acquaintances." Inez said with a cough to correct him. Francis shot her a pointed stare. "What? I have never seen you utter more than four words to that woman. This is the first time I am ever hearing of her personally inviting you to Buckingham Palace!"

He grumbled, but continued on. "Well, that woman and I have been 'acquaintances,' as you put it, since we were teenagers. We used to have tea often at the palace back when Betty-" He paused, looking to his daughter. 

Inez gasped, reaching for her sister's arm, "You've had tea with Queen Charlotte? You must tell me everything!"

"There is not much to tell. She just told me that 'all my life, i would be picked like a rose.' She was clearly wrong, Inez." Betty replied. "I did not think she would invite you back."