2~

Chapter 2: "Snoozing Away Opportunity"

I woke up to the sound of my alarm blaring in my ear. Groggily, I reached over to turn it off, only to realize I had forgotten to set it for the right time. I was supposed to be at the company an hour ago to meet with Alexandra and get feedback on my project.

Panic set in as I quickly got out of bed and started getting ready. I rushed through my morning routine, my mind racing with thoughts of what Alexandra might say about my design.

But as I was brushing my teeth, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and couldn't help but laugh. I looked like a mess! My hair was sticking up in every direction, and I had a giant coffee stain on my shirt.

"Note to self," I thought, "always check your appearance before leaving the house."

I quickly changed into a fresh shirt and tried to tame my hair, but I was still running late. I grabbed my bag and headed out the door, hoping that Alexandra would understand my tardiness.

As I rushed to the company, I couldn't shake off the feeling that I was in for a long day...

As I arrived at the company, I could feel my heart racing with anticipation and a hint of dread. I was already late, and I knew Alexandra wasn't one to tolerate tardiness. I burst through the doors, out of breath and disheveled, and made my way to her office.

Just as I was about to knock, I heard a stern voice from inside. "Jamie, is that you? Come in."

I opened the door, trying to compose myself, and found Alexandra sitting behind her desk, looking unimpressed. "Ah, Jamie. Fashionably late, as always."

I forced a laugh, trying to play it cool. "Just a little...um...creative time management, Alexandra."

She raised an eyebrow. "I see. Well, let's get down to business. Your project...?"

My heart skipped a beat as she paused, leaving me in suspense. "Yes...?"

Alexandra leaned forward, a hint of a smile playing on her lips. "It's...interesting. But I think we need to discuss a few...changes."

My mind raced with worst-case scenarios as I nodded eagerly, trying to appear enthusiastic. "Absolutely! I'm all about feedback and growth."

As she began to outline her thoughts, I found myself zoning out, my brain stuck on the word "changes." What did that mean? Was my design a total disaster?

Suddenly, Alexandra's voice snapped me back to attention. "Jamie, are you even listening?"

I jolted upright, trying to appear focused. "Yes, of course! Changes...totally on board..."

She raised an eyebrow, a hint of amusement in her eyes. "Good. Because we have a meeting with the investors in an hour, and I need you to...improve...your presentation skills."

My heart sank. Investors? Presentation skills? I was a designer, not a public speaker!

I tried to persuade Alexandra, my voice laced with desperation. "But Alexandra, I'm a designer, not a public speaker! I'll ruin the presentation and embarrass the company!"

Alexandra leaned forward, her eyes glinting with a hint of amusement. "Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. You're not exactly known for your timeliness or fashion sense. But I believe in you. You'll do great."

I swallowed hard, sensing a threat lurking beneath her words. "Uh, thanks, Alexandra. But what if I mess up?"

She smiled sweetly, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "Oh, I'm sure it'll be fine. But just in case, let's make it interesting. If you botch the presentation, you're fired."