[01] 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘨 𝘭𝘢𝘥𝘺

✞︎

Under the scorching midday sun, beneath a tall oak tree that rested proudly on the edge of a beautiful farmhouse property- sat a young girl, nose buried in the pages of a book. A farmhouse, with its worn out wood and welcoming porch, stood tall nearby, a silent witness to the scene.

Bella clutched the book in her hands, nose buried deep into the pages. She crossed her legs uncomfortably over one another, trying to refrain from getting her clean clothes all mucky. She'd been tirelessly hauling around buckets and pushing wheelbarrows all day, the heat from the relentless sun sinking into her skin.

The world felt quiet for just a moment, the sounds of the birds and the animals played happy little tunes in her head, forcing her to close her eyes to be able to soak up the moment. But, her peace was suddenly shattered as the sound of car tyres speeding along the dirt path sliced through the sounds of nature. Dust billowed into the air as the wheels of the familiar sheriff's car spun, finally reaching a halt outside the front porch.

Bella turned her head to follow the movements of the car, her gaze fixed on her father as he emerged from the vehicle, tipping his hat as he stepped to the ground. She took a deep breath as she stood up, brushing the dry mud and the dead grass off of her clean white skirt.

"Hi, Daddy" she shouted, her accent thick as she tried to catch his attention.

The older man spun on his heels, his eyes catching the sight of the young girl walking up the field. He released a sigh of relief that he didn't even know he was holding at the sight of his precious daughter safe and alive.

"Hi, Bella" he greeted once she was in earshot, the hint of relief in his tone covered up by the warmness of his words. He adjusted his stance, scanning the girl for any signs of distress before continuing, "How's your day been? You've been out here quite a while, ain't ya?"

"It's been good," she hummed lightly, absentmindedly twirling one of her braids around her finger "How 'bout yours?"

"Yeah...good" His words trailed off, confusion clouding the girl's face as she squinted up at him, vision blinded by the sun. "Let's head inside" He suggested, gesturing towards the door.

His arm came to wrap around her shoulders protectively, guiding her towards the farmhouse while casting one last glance around the property. All clear, he deemed, the door echoing throughout the fields as he shut it for the night.

✞︎

"Would you quit slurpin' that drink, girl?" His teasing voice filled the dining room where they were currently sitting, enjoying the breakfast he had prepared- it was a nice treat, considering he was normally out most mornings.

"Sorry," Bella giggled, setting her orange juice back down onto the gingham tablecloth.

"You get that from ya' mother," He remarked with a playful grin.

She raised an eyebrow mockingly, "Sure I don't get that from you?"

His shoulders shook as he laughed, his head bowing down slightly.

"Nope, pretty sure that was from her. You know, your brother.." Bella's eyes snapped up at his pause and the mention of the word brother, but before she could question it, he uttered a 'never mind' and walked off to the sink.

Bella's frown deepened. He rarely ever mentioned her brother- especially after the death of her mom- the word was almost like poison to the family. She knew very little about him, only that her mom had him young, and he definitely wasn't her dad's child. He'd ran away when Bella was young, maybe around seven. No one ever told her why, and no one ever talked about him.