Blurred Lines

I dealt with sitting in the back with Mr. Onion for a couple weeks. I squinted over half the time but he helped me catch up. I was doing ok until one afternoon, my eyes started to go blurry.

"What's she writing now?" I whispered to Thompson.

"6x+34×60=5x÷90," he whispered back.

I sighed and tried to write. Oh multistep equations. I wiped my eyes, but it was still blurry. I raised my hand.

"Heck, why are you interrupting my lecture?"

"Can I go to the nurse?"

"What's wrong?"

"My sight is blurry, I can barely see."

"Did this happen just now?"

I nodded.

"Go on. Thompson, can you help her?"

"I can go myself. The nurse is just right down the hall."

She sighed.

"Ok."

I slowly got up and started walking up front.

"Uh Angel, your right eye looks like it's turning in."

"What do you mean!?"

"You look kinda cross-eyed, that's what I mean."

I opened the classroom door, I was starting to feel motion sick.

"Is there a trashcan I can throw up in."

The classrooms trashcan was held out right in front of me. I started throwing up, it was the chicken noodle soup I ate for lunch for sure. The teacher walked me to the nurse.

*Frankie's POV*

At my job, Ehlert Motors, I was outside in the hot sun scouting for a potential buyer when the intercom boomed.

"Frankie, there's a phone call for you from Orson High, it's about Angel."

I sighed and walked in. I persuaded Mr. Ehlert to let me out early to tend to Angel.

*Angel's POV*

Mom found me waiting in the front office.

"Angel honey what happened?"

"I think I'm going blind, Mommy, my eyes are so blurry I need a defrost button."

"Honey calm down. You were put up front right-"

The nurse walked in the office.

"Hi Mrs. Heck, thank you for coming in for Angel, let me just cut to the chase, she needs to see an eye doctor."

"Can you provide us one if we can't afford it?" Mom laughed.

"I hope you have insurance to help you. Please, get her treated ASAP."

"I will...I'll dig up some loose change. Have a great day."

We left the school. Mom had to pull into the Frugal Hoosier.

"I gotta get something for dinner tonight. Any ideas?"

"Stale macaroni and cheese, stale saltine crackers, and some soda with citric acid in it to help with my nauseating nausea."

She stroked my curly hair and gave me a kiss. She ended up getting a family size frozen dinner, chicken parmesean that expires today, and a can of one day expired beanie weenies.

At home, she led me to the couch, she got a light scarf from mine and Sue's room.

"Here, rest your eyes for a bit."