Chapter 14 | Emma - Oklahoma city

I woke up when an overheated mass tried to pull itself from between my arms. Jenna was halfway out of bed before I managed to get any words out.

"Stay," I mumbled. My throat was scratchy. Jenna froze at my word. Her hair was a tangled mess, and I could see lines from the pillows and sheets imprinted up and down her side. In a few spots around her waist and hips, there was a red, irritated line where the harness had cut in. We'd have to adjust it better next time.

The skin of her torso was hot under my fingertips. I dragged one hand slowly up her back, tracing the curve and twist of her muscles. The stiff lines of her back smoothed under my touch, and she finally let herself be pulled back into my arms.

Once under the covers again, she rolled over so we were face to face. Hers split into a gentle smile when her eyes landed on me.

"I didn't mean to wake you up." I felt her hand creep around my waist, then slide down to settle on my ass.

"But at least if you're awake, I can do this."

She pulled me just a little closer, her hand wide and insistently spread across my ass. Then she squeezed, and I let out a little squeak of surprise. She burst into laughter. Her face surged towards mine, trying to kiss me.

"No, I have morning breath!" I cried, dodging her. Jenna peppered kisses along my cheek and exposed shoulder. I twisted to bury my face in the pillow. It had the added benefit of hiding my delighted blush. Why was she so damn charming, even like this?

"What's a little morning breath between friends?" she teased.

I placed a hand in the centre of her chest, holding her back.

"You won't want to be friends anymore once you've gotten a face full of it," I insisted.

"I changed my mind! Get out of bed. Out!"

She cackled with laughter now, letting me push her out of the bed. When she stumbled out, her foot caught on the sheet and almost sent her to the floor. I couldn't stop my eyes from trailing up and down her body. She steadied herself and turned, catching me in the act. A little colour dusted to life along her collarbones, and her cheeks.

"Okay, I'm going to pick up breakfast for me and coffee for you before you start enjoying this whole show too much," she said, swiping a shirt off the floor. It was her tank top from last night, the damn thing that showed off her arms so well she nearly got me out of my pants in the middle of a crowded bar.

"Wait." I sat up. The sheet was wrapped tight around me, but I saw the way her gaze was drawn to my chest, even hidden under the sheet. I smiled and let it fall to my waist. Her mouth fell open, a slightly dazed expression stealing across her face.

"Uh-huh," she mumbled. I nearly laughed. She had a one-track mind.

"I was thinking, we don't have to get going right away. It's less than seven hours to Memphis. We could grab some breakfast first and we'd still get there not too late."

Jenna didn't say anything, and all of a sudden I started to second guess myself. Maybe this was uncool, especially right after fucking properly for the first time. Was I being a loser? I started scrambling out of bed, but I found myself fighting the tangle of sheets.

"I mean, we don't have to. In fact, that was dumb. Let's just get going. I think I left my..."

By the time I had thrown my legs over the edge of the bed, a pair of hands on my knees stopped me, and a curtain of brunette hair fell in front of my face. I looked up to find Jenna's wide brown eyes, soft and understanding.