AEGON II

Aegon pressed himself closer into Sunfyre, encouraging the dragon to fly down. He saw Jace on Vermax following close behind. They'd flown past the Kingswood by the time the sun had reached its apex, and had passed over Ashford and Horn Hill already. Soon the Hightower would be in view and they would be descending on Oldtown and Daeron.

Daeron... his littlest brother. Only a boy of six namedays when he'd been sent off to foster with their mother's family. Aegon barely remembered what his little brother looked like, he knew that out of his siblings Daeron had been the only one to inherit their grandmother Alyssa's blonde hair, he hadn't inherited her eyes though, having the same indigo eyes as their father, Rhaenyra and Aegon himself.

He remembered the little dragon that Daeron had claimed though. His brother was the only one of Queen Alicent's children to have an egg hatch in the cradle. A bright cobalt blue she-dragon whom Daeron was been proud of, even at six. He'd scoured the library for days trying to find her a name, asking Aegon to read him words that he didn't understand. Aegon was eleven at the time, and had found it quite irritating to be saddled with his little brother, but he had helped all the same and eventually Daeron decided on the name Tessarion for the little hatchling.

Three days later he was gone. Aegon hadn't seen him since, he wasn't at Lady Laena or Ser Laenor's funerals, or the tourney held in celebration for Aegon's sixteenth name day, or even his wedding to Helaena. Aegon remembered mother asking grandfather about why her son was not present, but everytime Otto managed to distract her and change the subject, Aegon was beginning to worry about why.

Aegon was lost in thought for a while, before he spotted the white stone tower in the distance. The Hightower itself. Vermax came closer to Sunfyre as they neared the city. "You land!" Jace's voice came over the wind, "I'll circle above, Sunfyre will show me if I need to land." They'd talked about the plan before they left, but Aegon was relieved to hear the ease in Jace's voice, even shouting over the wind he sounded confident, a helpful salve to Aegon's own worry.

Soon the two dragons were circling above the tower. Aegon took a breath, then directed Sunfyre to land on the top of the tower.

 Aegon took a breath, then directed Sunfyre to land on the top of the tower

The guards kept back. Eyes darting from Sunfyre's golden jaw to Aegon as he dismounted his dragon. "Tell my cousin that Prince Aegon has come for his brother," he called to the guards. One turned and took off down the stairs. The other two stayed. Eyes still stuck on Sunfyre. "Do not be afraid," Aegon said, amused, "he will not harm you."

As they waited for his cousin and brother, Aegon distantly heard the sound of a dragon's cry. Tessarion sensing her kin perhaps?

It didn't take long for Lord Ormund and Prince Daeron to reach the top of the Hightower. His brother's eyes lit up when they fell on Aegon and a smile graced his lips. "My Prince," Lord Ormund spoke, his own eyes locked on Sunfyre.

"My lord cousin," Aegon responded.

"What brings you here? We received no raven telling of your coming," Ormund said, when his eyes finally turned to Aegon he could see the genuine confusion in them. Either Grandfather had not yet sent word to Oldtown of his fathers death or he had and that raven had included the detail of Aegon's escape.