xiii. heavy sky country

The worst part was the fact that once Zoë mentioned it, Angela could see that they were related

The worst part was the fact that once Zoë mentioned it, Angela could see that they were related. It was more small things, microexpressions that flashed across both their faces the same way. The same eyes.

Angela liked to think over the time they'd been together, she'd gotten to know Zoë fairly well. It was definitely a result of the constant danger, but saving each others' lives a couple of times made for an accelerated relationship. Atlas looked the exact same as Zoë had before Angela knew her. Cold and regal, without any of the things that Angela liked about the hunter.

"Let Artemis go!" Zoë demanded.

Her father walked closer. "Perhaps you'd like to take the sky for her then? Be my guest."

Zoë opened her mouth, no doubt to accept the offer, but Artemis cut in before she could. "No! Do not offer, Zoë! I forbid you."

Atlas smirked, kneeling down to touch Artemis's face tauntingly. She bit him. Atlas whipped his hand back, chuckling, "You see, daughter? Lady Artemis likes her new job. I think I will have all the Olympians take turns carrying my burden, once Lord Kronos rules again, and this is the center of our palace. It will teach those weaklings some humility."

Angela could see Annabeth moving out of the corner of her eye. She was gesturing with her head towards Luke, but Angela had no idea what she was trying to say. Her blonde curls were caked in mud and, what Angela had thought was dust, she could now see was a thick grey streak. The others seemed to notice it at the same time. Thalia spoke up softly, "From holding up the sky," she shook her head. "The weight should've killed her."

"I don't understand, why can't Artemis just let go of the sky?"

Angela elbowed him, shaking her head. "How little you understand, young one," Atlas laughed. "This is the point where the sky and the earth first met, where Ouranos and Gaia first brought forth their mighty children, the Titans. The sky still yearns to embrace the earth. Someone must hold it at bay, or else it would crush down upon this place, instantly flatteing the mountain and everything within a hundred leagues. Once you have taken the burden, there is no escape. Unless someone else takes it from you."

Angela didn't know how Annabeth had survived. Artemis wasn't even able to stay standing under the weight, her knees digging into the rock below them. Angela had never seen a goddess struggle so much.

Atlas finally considered the three of them for the first time. "So these are the best heroes of the age, eh?" His gaze locked onto Angela, almost half a head smaller than Percy. "Not much of a challenge."

Percy stepped in front of her. "Fight us, and let's see."

Atlas laughed again. "Have the gods taught you nothing? An immoral does not fight a mere mortal directly. It is beneath our dignity. I will have Luke crush you instead."

"It's beneath your dignity to get your butt kicked by a group of kids?" Angela taunted. "Coward."

Atlas looked back at her. "Daughter of Demeter, you will never be a problem. Your mother sends you to do her bidding and she doesn't even give you the strength to help. You are nothing but a weed, all I would need to do is step on you and you're finished."