Chapter 44. Adrenaline

Lunch in Capri had been, without a doubt, the most heinous meal Madeline had ever experienced.

That being said, the food was quite delicious. The company, however, not so much.

Madeline had thought that Lawrence Pucey would be the worst of her worries, until Augustus Nott certified himself as the worst, most arrogant, despicable and pathetic excuse for a man in only their first meeting.

She'd known there was something sinister about him, knew it in the way Augustus spoke, or so much as looked at anyone. But Theo's father had only proved her suspicions when he managed to insult and belittle his son in front of the entire table, Daphne for speaking out against him, and Jolie for doing the same.

Thankfully, it had been Felix Carrow to end it for good, escorting the horrid man from the restaurant. Madeline secretly hoped Jolie's father had evaporated him rather than allow him the privilege to apparate.

But Madeline would never know.

Because the meal carried on afterward as if nothing had happened. Conversation veered elsewhere, the remaining parents entirely complacent in pretending as though nothing were amiss.

And when it had been time to return to the ship, cordial goodbyes were offered all around.

No one had so much as uttered a word about the ordeal, not for two entire days.

Calliope Warrington elected to continue on toward Palermo rather than stay anchored in Capri as they had initially planned.

And after a long, tiresome day of shopping, drinking whilst exploring the streets, and aiding in giving Miles Bletchley the much needed Italian makeover of the century, Madeline was grateful to be finally relaxing for the first time in a long while.

Luckily, the group chose to unwind with one of her favourite pastimes.

Another piercing shriek came from the den's television, and Catherine, seated on the floor before the sofa flinched, tucking her face behind Mile's shoulder as Pennywise the clown graced the screen again.

It had only taken a few drinks for everyone to agree in watching the IT two-part series, and now, mostly through the second instalment, Madeline could tell that nearly everyone regretted it.

Poor Daphne had already excused herself to bed after being scarred from the first one.

Even Adrian spared the occasional flinch or grimace. Even if he hadn't shown it, Madeline could certainly hear his heart hammering within his chest as she rested her head against him.

In the last few minutes or so, the arm he'd slung over her shoulders tucked in closer, and his fingertips drew featherlight absentminded shapes atop the thin blanket covering her forearm.

His touch was so gentle that it partly began lulling her into sleep as it worked in tandem with the swaying ship and the one too many glasses of merlot.

She could sleep here, she supposed.

There was no sense is passing up the opportunity—

Adrian flinched, hard.

Madeline poked open an eye, unsure as to when they had closed in the first place, and spotted the massive six-legged spider-like creature making its entrance in the Derry, Maine sewer.

She grinned.

Only a short while later, the ending credits to the movie rolled over the screen.

She and Adrian both shifted their feet from where they rested on the ottoman and stood. Madeline stretched, yawning as she adjusted the frump of her button down pyjama top, wrinkled and warm from the past two hours of comfortable lounging.