EIGHTEEN

The daunting view of the miner raising his pickaxe disappears as you squeeze your eyes shut, not wanting to watch the last moments of your life happen. After a few moments you hear a deep grunt followed by what sounds like fighting. Opening your eyes, you look over in shock to find Stu wrestling with the miner on the ground, trying to get the pickaxe away from him.

"Stu?" You whisper in both confusion and relief.

"(Y/N)!" Somebody else calls your name, pulling your attention away from the scuffle and towards the trees on your right where you spot Billy stepping into the clearing. He instantly comes to your side, kneeling down on the ground next to you as he pulls you into his arms. He whispers comforting words to you as he rubs your back, trying to distract you from the fight happening only a few feet away from you.

You mentally thank them for showing up, knowing you would have been dead by now if they didn't. Though, you're curious as to whether or not they heard your screams and cries for help and that's why they came. If they did, then that would mean the others heard you as well, which makes you wonder why they're not here as well. Or maybe you travelled so far from the house that your screams couldn't be heard from there. Perhaps Billy and Stu heard you from the road on their way to your house. Regardless, you're extremely thankful and relieved.

A grunt of pain pulls you from your thoughts and you worriedly pull away from Billy to make sure that Stu is alright. It looks as if he's taken a hit from the miner, his cheek seeming a bit red from what was likely a solid punch. It seems that he succeeded in getting the pickaxe away from the man as it lies a few feet away from where the two of them are still fighting each other.

Part of you hopes that Stu wins the fight and kills the miner, exacting revenge against the killer that took your sisters life. Another part of you wants to question him and ask him why he did it and why he lives in the mines. You don't think he'll easily answer your questions, though. There's a good chance that if you were to let him go, he'd go right back to his mine where he'll simply wait for his next victim. You need to restrain him and take him home where the others will be able to help you, and hopefully Hannibal will help you ask the right questions.

"We need to keep him alive." You mumble, knowing that you would prefer answers over revenge at the moment.

"Huh? What are you talking about?" Billy questions, having been the only one to hear you.

You shift in Billy's arms, looking up at him with glossy eyes. "I need to ask him some questions. We can't kill him until I do."

Billy stares at you, mentally debating on whether or not he should allow you to take this man back to your house. When him and Stu found you, they both were terrified and absolutely pissed. Seeing the miner standing over your scared form, pickaxe raised and ready to be brought down, he found himself genuinely filled with rage and fear. Stu managed to react before him, tackling the man away right before his pickaxe could finish it's swing.

He wants to say no. He wants to go and help Stu end the man who thought he could harm you and get away with it. He wants to put that bastard six feet under, never to be found. Yet, as he stares into your glossy eyes, he finds himself unwilling to upset you in such a way. So, he nods, agreeing to help you restrain and take him home.

After confirming that you're alright, Billy gently releases you as he moves to help Stu. Between the two of them they successfully manage to pin the man down and with a few hard hits he's knocked unconscious. With that done and out of the way, Stu quickly moves to pull you into a bear hug, his face buried in your hair as he tries not to cry. The two of you stand in each others arms for a few moments until Billy reminds the both of you that you need to get the man back to your house before he wakes up.

Thankfully, the two of them remember the way they took and with the two of them carrying the unconscious man, you all make it back to their car with little problem. They shove him into the back where Billy joins him, Stu moving to the front where he gets into the driver seat. The second you sit down in the passenger seat his hand is on your thigh, grip a bit tight while his thumb rubs gentle circles on it. You don't say anything, knowing he probably just needs to know that you're safe.

The drive home is filled with silence, nobody bothering to say anything. Stu and Billy are likely in their own thoughts, thinking over what just happened. You, on the other hand, are running through a list of questions you want to ask the miner once he wakes up. You know it might be a while considering how hard they hit him- you'd be surprised if he didn't have at least a little bit of a concussion.

What you're not looking forward to is seeing the others. You ignored them for days, staying locked away in your room without saying a single thing to any of them. Then, you suddenly disappear, only speaking to Hannibal long enough to ask him not to tell the others that you left. You suddenly appearing with an unconscious man dressed in a mining outfit will certainly raise a lot of concerns. You can only hope that they're understanding and let you explain your side of things.

You'll just have to wait and see.

~~~~~~~~~

Sorry today's chapter was super late. With it being mothers day here, I went to the movies with my mom for a while. Of course, my brother also decided to come over from Friday until Sunday afternoon so I couldn't really write while he was here either. Hopefully despite me rushing a bit this chapter is still decent enough for you all to enjoy.