Chapter 4: Falling in Love

It was October 10th, 9 years since The Kyuubi incident and Naruto's ninth birthday, but Naruto never liked his birthday for it always brought bad memories. So on this day, to escape from all the celebrations and noise of villagers and the inevitable curses they throw at him this particular day, he stays at the top of his father's head on the top of the Hokage monument.

Naruto was lying on the stone face while gazing at the sky and a leaf in his mouth halfway just relaxing, when in a body flicker Hiruzen appeared in his Hokage's robe but without the hat and the pipe in his mouth. Naruto didn't even have to turn around to look who had arrived but he put up his mental defences for on this particular day he was supposed to be sad and depressed.

Hiruzen sighed and asked the boy, "Naruto what are you doing here shouldn't you be in the village celebrating like everybody else."

Naruto sat up and facing backwards replied, "I would if somebody allowed me to, but for some reason every year they seem to loathe my presence during this time of year."

Hiruzen once again sighed in regret and said, "I am sorry Naruto but give the villagers some time. They are angry now but once it fades away they will come around and accept you. You should forgive them."

"You always say that jiji but they never come around. But you said so I will still keep hope.", replied Naruto.

Hiruzen nodded in satisfaction. But he as well as Naruto both knew that it was almost impossible and it was not because of the reason that jinchuriki are treated harshly, but because it is just human nature to always be weary of something they can't comprehend and it was also an undenying fact that once people get habited to something it becomes an addiction, and treating Naruto harshly or rejecting him have become a habit and removing that habit is like trying to escape from addiction and it was in a society where every other person encouraged the said addiction. Truly a sad fact about human nature.

Hiruzen suggested, "Why don't you come with me. I will treat you to Ichiraku, that will surely cheer you up."

Naruto with a smile plastered on his face replied in his enthusiastic voice, "Let's go jiji." 

After having a heart-filling meal at Ichirakus Naruto was returning to his apartment, reminiscing about the day he first got to eat at his favourite ramen restaurant. 

[Flashback]

Naruto was 6 years old and was hunting in one of the forests on the outskirts of the village but was having difficulty finding anything due to a shortage of food in that particular season. It was also heavily clouded and he had an inkling a storm was coming. To prove his thoughts right suddenly strong gusts of wind started blowing and he had no choice but to turn back and return. Though he had now an apartment to live in but very little money to eat. The allowance for the orphan welfare which provided a minimum amount of money to all the orphans per month till they reached the age of fifteen or if they became genin was introduced in the time of the First Hokage to help those children who became orphans of war or if their parents died in an unfortunate mission.

But sadly for Naruto, the authority for the distribution of funds was handed to the civilian council during the reign of Second Hokage. The people in the civilian council were not very keen on providing any help to the demon brat so they tried to embezzle as much of his funds as possible but they still had to show a receipt of minimum allowance to the Hokage. This would not have been a problem for them just to provide false data but the obstacle was that Hiruzen Sarutobi was a surrogate grandfather to the jinchuriki and any corruption on their part would make its way to his ears especially regarding Naruto. It didn't add to the fact that in charge of the distribution of these funds was Mebuki Haruno, for the civilian council she was just the matriarch of the Haruno merchant clan but the shinobis who knew the truth about Naruto's parents knew she was the former teammate of Kushina and such whenever she gave the funds to Naruto she added a little amount of money from her own pocket.