14

Blair POV.

George takes me on his private jet. There are only two of us in the cabin. I'm scared and force myself to keep my eyes open.

But human willpower ultimately cannot defeat medication, and the stomach medicine I took before boarding begins to take effect. My eyelids grow heavier and heavier until I slump over in the seat.

When I wake up, I find myself in a deep gray space. The space is tall, with walls made of various sizes of glass conservatories. The plants in the conservatories are growing vigorously, blooming brightly under artificial lighting.

I sit up abruptly from the bed and call out George's name.

He appears in the corridor wearing a white bathrobe, his hair still wet, and the motion sensor lights above the corridor light up with his footsteps.

"You're awake?"

"Where am I?" I look around, feeling more and more like I'm in a scene from a science fiction movie.

"The Sea of Clouds." He crosses his arms, leaning against the wall and looking at me.

"Impossible."

"This is the basement of the Sea of Clouds, and you've never been here."

I throw off the blanket and sit on the edge of the bed to put on my shoes.

"What are you doing?" he asks.

"I'm going out."

George chuckles in response. "I've sealed off all the exits. There's 24/7 ventilation, water, electricity, and everything else you need to survive. From today on, you'll stay here."

I stand up. "You're crazy."

"It's you who drive me crazy," he pauses. "Do you know why I built this basement?"

He walks to the bedside table and picks up a remote control, pressing the switch.

The next second, a photo of me appears on the wall opposite the bed. It's the same one I found in George's wallet—I was picking flowers in the garden, unaware that someone was watching me from behind.

I stand frozen in place, looking up at it.

George presses a button on the remote control, and the photo begins to change. The following are all silhouettes of me studying abroad in Country B, buying coffee at a breakfast shop, discussing homework with classmates in the library, going skiing...

I turn my head, incredulously looking at George. "You had someone spy on me?!"

"I was just protecting you."

Next, I hear an audio clip from Amelia.

"Boss, I've dealt with two threats against Miss. Blair, both coming from domestic sources... By the way, it might not be good for Miss. Blair to be alone abroad for a long time. She's outgoing and likes crowded places."

I suddenly remember when I was studying in Country B, I once mistakenly joined a rioting crowd.

I fell down, and others almost stepped on me. but a woman who happened to pass by pulled me out.

I always wanted to thank her, but she disappeared into the crowd, and I still don't know who she was.

"How long has Amelia been stalking me?" I ask George, my voice involuntarily trembling.

"Since you landed on Country B."

I stare into George's green eyes, swallowing hard. "And this basement? What kind of protection is this?"