30

Blair POV.

Now I can't sleep at all. I lie in bed with my eyes open, and the baby in my belly is also awake. My nervousness seems to have infected her, as she kicks my stomach several times with her feet.

Amelia returns at four in the morning.

I hear a sound and go downstairs to see her. Her expression is as calm as an ordinary worker coming home from a shift, but I notice dried blood on her collar.

"Are you hurt?!" I ask.

"Someone else's blood," she says. "Miss Blair, you're still awake?"

"...Stop talking about me. Just tell me what happened. Are the chief and his wife okay?!"

"The chief was shot in the arm, but it was just a graze. There was an ambush in the warehouse. The chief quickly rush to his wife to protect her." Amelia goes to the kitchen to pour herself a glass of water and drinks it in large gulps.

"And then??"

"They tried to kill Apex, the witness. I shot the leader in the wrist just in time and took care of the rest of them. Then the officers waiting outside started to clean up the scene, and took Apex away. Then I came back."

I stand there, staring blankly at the expressionless woman in front of me.

"Amelia, are you really human?"

I suspect she might actually be an robot.

Amelia opens the fridge and starts frying a steak for herself. "Of course. Miss Blair, since you can't sleep, do you want a midnight snack? But beef might be too heavy for your stomach right now. How about I wash an apple for you?"

I swallow.

Two hours later, Mr. Emerson is arrested on a ship about to sail overseas. Apex provided his name and the transaction accounts and transfer records between them.

"It's really my foster father? " I can hardly believe it. He has been living a leisurely retired life these past few years. Who would have thought he was secretly conducting illegal transactions through three subsidiaries under the Emerson family, amassing huge private funds?"

Amelia shifts her gaze from her phone to my face and nods. "Part of the money is his, and the other part is Mrs. Mary's. She has been using her position to cover for her husband for years. The couple shares the profits, and all the transaction records were found on the computers of those three subsidiaries."

I look at Amelia, then at her phone. "How do the police tell you such details? And they even let you help rescue the chief's family."

Amelia shrugs. "Boss had a prior agreement with the chief before he went to prison."

I am silent for two seconds. "When will he be released?"

"I don't know."

I return to the bedroom and lie down, slowly closing my eyes. I don't know how long I've slept, but at some point, I start to dream.

My baby is born, curled up like a tiny kitten. Her eyes are still closed, and she instinctively searches for milk. I lift my shirt, mentally preparing myself for breastfeeding. The pregnancy books say that newborns only seem fragile; they have a strong suckling force, and it might hurt the mother.

But reality is completely different from what I imagined. The baby starts by gently touching my nipple with her finger, then moves closer, licking it with her tongue, and then uses her teeth...

How can a newborn baby have teeth?!

I suddenly open my eyes.

"You're awake?" George appears on the bed, wearing a bathrobe with slightly damp hair.