Elevator Music

The next morning I take my car and start the long drive back to campus. Tonya wanted to see me to get set up for school starting back tomorrow. Tonya is my roommate back at Kensington and you could say we are friends but she's just a lot for me. Not sure how I feel about her, dad only forced me into the dorms at the start of the year.

I pull up next to all the fancy cars, I'm surprised I haven't had a load of questions on why I don't drive a fancy car but an old one my dad had until it wasn't working up to his standards. I park the car with a sickening squeak and then grab my backpack and head toward the dorm building.

Balancing it all on my shoulders, I manage to make it to the elevator and a boy stumbles in just as it's closing. I don't recognise him, but he's tall with dark eyes and dark messy hair. He pushes his glasses up his nose and fixes his bag over his shoulder.

"What floor are you going to?" I ask, gesturing to the panel.

"Erhh....four." He says, scratching the back of his head. I press the button and we wait in silence for a few minutes, what is taking this so long!?

"So...you new here?" I ask, breaking the silence.

"I've been in your class for three years." He says, narrowing his dark eyes at me. My cheeks flush pink.

"Oh." I say, embarrassed and look down at my feet. My feet that are currently in the dirtiest sneakers ever. Geez, I really need to wash these.

"Don't worry about it, I'd expect it from someone like you." He shrugs and I glare at him.

"Someone like me? What is that supposed to mean?" I demand.

"You date Scott McKinley, that should say everything it needs to." He snarks.

I don't try speaking to him again, but I keep trying to sneak glances at him. He doesn't seem offended that I have no recollection of being in the same class as him, maybe even like he was expecting it. I don't like that, even if I didn't notice him it's rude to assume that's something I'd do on the regular. And what's Scott got to do with this? I know he's not the greatest guy out there but he didn't do anything to this guy, not that I remember of anyway.

The elevator finally pings for my floor and I make my escape as quickly as I can. I busy along the hall toward my dorm room and then I hear him.

"Lottie! My dear sister!" He shouts and I groan into my hands. Jake appears around the corner looking smug as ever.

"What do you want Jake?" I complain, looking at his arrogant saunter.

"Just to visit my dear sister, back from her little trip to the dad's house." He says with a smirk, leaning against the wall.

"Half sister. Don't forget that." I grumble, he's not fazed at all.

Jake Cameron is my half brother, but he doesn't look it. Hazel eyes, dark brown hair, he's averagely tall, not as tall as the guy in the elevator and he's about two centimetres taller than me. It was only a few months ago I was taller, don't you hate it when you're little brother outgrows you?

"Seriously Jake, what do you want?" I mumble. Once Jake wants something, he doesn't back down. Unfortunately that's a trait Dad, Jake and I all share.

"Well as you know in three weeks time I am joining your school, and I got dad to change the plans so we'll be roomies." He grins.

"You are fucking joking me." I groan. I give him a long hard look.

"Don't get too excited big sis, count this as a blessing." He says smoothly.

"What about this is a blessing?!" I demand. Jake laughs.