« Inspection »

NOTE: I haven't featured the thestrals, but consider Olivia going there every night. They will have a HUGE part later on.

"You think McGonagall was right, do you?" Harry asked Hermione angrily when Hermione didn't respond to his complaints,

"I wish she hadn't taken points from you, but she's right, you have to keep your temper with Umbridge." Hermione said, not taking her eyes off her newspaper. 

"Hermione!" I said, widening my eyes. "You've never said that to me." I said, raising an eyebrow, and looking at Harry, wincing. 

Both me and Harry didn't talk to her all throughout Charms, but when I saw Umbridge in the Transfiguration room, the memory went flying out of one ear. 

I sat next to Hermione and apologized, while Ron whispered to Harry, who was next to him, "Excellent, lets see Umbridge get what she deserves." 

I grinned and nodded, which made Ron grin as well, and right then, Professor McGonagall marched into the room, ignoring Umbridge. 

"Mr. Finnigan, kindly come here and hand back the homework, Ms Cullen, please take this box of mice and hand one to each student." 

I nodded, and went up to Professor McGonagall's desk and took the box of squeaking mice from her desk. "Hem- hem." Umbridge coughed. 

Professor McGonagall ignored her, which made me smile wider than before. 

I took a brown mice and put it on Lavender Brown's desk. 

I continued handing out the mice and sat down next to Harry when I was finished. I glanced at my homework to see an O, again. I hid it from Harry, which, thankfully, got an A. 

"Right then, everyone, listen closely — Dean Thomas, if you dothat to the mouse again I shall put you in detention — most of youhave now successfully vanished your snails and even those who wereleft with a certain amount of shell have the gist of the spell. Today weshall be —"'

"Hem- hem." 

I turned my eyes to her and widened them as though  I was her teacher and I was silently scolding her. 

Professor McGonagall had the same reaction. "Yes?" 

"I just wanted to check if you had received my note telling you the date and time of my inspec-" 

"Of course I received ot, otherwise I would have asked why you were in my classroom." Professor McGonagall said, in a tone I could have used too. 

I smiled widely and made a taunting face at Umbridge. 

 "As I was saying, today we shall be practicing the altogethermore difficult vanishment of mice. Now, the Vanishing Spell —"

"Hem- hem.

"I wonder," said Professor McGonagall in an angry voice I had definitely used on Umbridge before, "how you expect to gain an idea of my usualteaching methods if you continue to interrupt me? You see, I do notgenerally permit people to talk when I am talking." 

Umbridge silently shrinked and I smiled, and danced a tiny dance, which made Umbridge throw a loathing look at me before starting to scribble furiously on her clipboard. 

"As I was saying, the Vanishing Spell becomes more difficult withthe complexity of the animal to be vanished. The snail, as an invertebrate, does not present much of a challenge; the mouse, as a mammal, offers a much greater one. This is not, therefore, magic you can accomplish with your mind on your dinner. So — you know the incantation,let me see what you can do. . . ."