The Unexpected Visitor

The palace hummed with life: the occasional chortle filled the air, as the Queen and Lady Danbury met for tea.
'I do say, I do not believe there has been a single match worth reading of this season.' The Queen spoke, her lips forming a pronounced pout.
'Indeed.' Lady Danbury agreed drawing circles on the floor with her cane.
Queen Charlotte's eyes drifted to the many paintings on the walls, another disappointment appearing at the forefront her mind: 'Even our most eligible bachelor, Mister Benedict Bridgerton, has shown no interest in the ladies this season.' The Queen exclaimed, growing rather bothered.
Lady Danbury leaned in close, her lips forming a slight smirk: 'The rumour is his affections lie elsewhere.' Lady Danbury teased in a whisper. The Queen's eyebrows furrowed, 'With a certain governess.' Lady Danbury continued, hoping the Queen would understand.
Her mouth fell agape. 'How scandalous!' She exclaimed, 'I know not whether to be amused or offended.' She whined.
'Miss Taylor is a rather bright young woman, all things considered.' Lady Danbury countered stirring her tea.
'Yes.' The Queen agreed absentmindedly: her thoughts returning to the interaction between her and her husband. 'How is she?' The Queen asked softly, a change from her previously curt tongue.
'She is up and walking, but still rather weak, I do believe.' Lady Danbury spoke from behind the teacup at her lips.
The Queen simply hummed in response.
In truth, something perplexed her about Miss Taylor: she felt as if she were missing something. Her husband had referred to Sophie by name that day, and if the girl's reputation were true, she certainly would not have introduced herself as such, deeming it rather informal. In fact, George had mentioned her on several occasions following, talking of her beauty and just how much she reminded him of her mother.

'Sophie, there is a visitor for you.' Violet said, making her way into the room, an unusually cheerful and almost astounded expression on her face. Sophie pulled her eyes away from her window (Violet had ensured that Sophie had her own room upstairs whilst she recovered, perhaps realising it was inappropriate for the girl to be sleeping in her son's room: a son who had only returned home every so often over the last couple of days).
'Who is it?' Sophie queried: she did not know anyone who would require a formal introduction, such as this.
However, just as Violet was about the speak, The Queen appeared from behind the doorframe.
'Your Majesty.' Sophie muttered, stumbling into a curtsy. The Queen simply offered her a curt nod in response.
'Leave us will you, Lady Bridgerton.' The Queen commanded gently: Violet was quick to leave the room, closing the door behind her.
'Have I done something wrong, Your Majesty?' Sophie asked hesitantly, racking her brain with any possible offences she may have caused.
'Not at all, Dear Child.' She reassured her, inspecting the room, 'I simply came to speak my well wishes... and to thank you.' Her voice grew frightfully warm, 'I work hard to ensure the King's condition remains a secret.'
'I understand, Your Majesty, I assure you I have not told a soul.' Sophie assured her, relief filling her body.
'Good.' The Queen pouted.
A silence filled the room, as if they both trying to make sense of the situation.
'It is most admirable,' Sophie began, gaining the Queen's attention, 'The love you have for your husband.' She smiled, 'When my mother was ill, people would often ask why I remained by her side, despite knowing she would never be the woman I once knew.' She took a breath, wondering if she should continue: yet, when she was meant with the Queen's wondrous stare, she thought it best too. 'I could not answer them, as a child, for even I did not always understand it... Yet, now I believe I do; to truly love someone is to love them despite everything that provides you a reason to not.'
'I believe you speak the truth.' The Queen agreed, seemingly in awe of Sophie's words, 'If you were fortunate enough to see her once more, what is it you would wish to say to her?' The Queen asked with genuine curiosity.
Sophie thought for a moment, staring out the window once again: 'I would tell her that I love her, somewhere the whole world may bear witness, no matter the insults and judgement they would hurl our way... So, she knew that it would never change the way I care for her.' She delivered, her eyes glistening as the sun stretched across the sky.
Her speech sparked an idea in the Queen's mind.
'I am to host a ball tomorrow night, I should like for you to attend, Miss Taylor.' She delivered sharply.
Sophie's jaw dropped, yet she was quick to return it to its correct position.
'I would be most honoured, Your Majesty,' she answered, rather flattered.
The Queen smirked as she began making her way out of the room. 'Good day, Miss Taylor.' She spoke as she exited.
'Good day, Your Majesty.' Sophie replied, ensuring the Queen had departed, before she fell to sit on the bed.

She had just been visited by the Queen of England: who wished to thank her? She had then been invited to her ball. She began wondering if she had imagined the whole conversation.

[Author's note: Wow! Another chapter! This one is rather short, but it is necessary in order for the finale chapter to occur: any guesses as to what may transpire? I can assure you the next chapter will be a long one, we certainly have a lot to unpack...
However, I would just like to take the time to thank you all for reading and engaging with this story: it started out as a little fantasy in my head, and now it has over 17k reads! I do not believe I saw that coming. Therefore, I thank you most dearly

Also I can reveal that the title of the next chapter will be... 'To Love Despite Everything'].