Back to Business

Business at Our Lady Immaculate College was indeed undeterred despite the worldwide impact of the previous week. It was business as usual. However, Sister Michael stewed with annoyance as she waited on the phone, powerless against the newest problem she was compelled to deal with. She wondered to herself that if it wasn't for having to deal with the actual issues that arose when running a school the job would be very passable. Alas, the nun's wish of a problem free environment could not even be granted on the first day back, already having her fill of it. She stared up at the ceiling, waiting for someone to pick up the phone and put her out of her misery. The newly popular Elton John song of 'candle in the wind' had played 6 times already.

She growled desperately under her breath. "I swear if I ever meet that ginger Timmy Mallet lookalike, I'll take that pudding basin wig and shove it right up his...."

"Good morning Sister Michael." The caller finally picked up.

"Aaaaah, Father Ashton." The Nun exclaimed. Quickly switching her tone to a more amicable one. "And how might you be this morning?" Grimacing with repulsion, thankful that he couldn't see her.

"I'm well, thank you. And yourself?" The cheerful priest replied.

"Absolutely grand. I do happen to have a wee problem...." Sister Michael began.

"Well, I can't be helping ya there, sister. You best go and see a doctor."

"HAHAHA, sharp as always William..... Ye fecking prick." Sister Michael lowered her voice.

"What was that, Sister? My hearings a wee bit off."

"I said, Aye, that would do the trick." She said cheerfully. "Now, William.... Willy..... I do have a slight issue and I need your help." She said.

"Ach, well I try I best, Georgie. What's the bother?"

"I'm glad you asked. It's about the kitchen staff....." Sister Michael took a breath.

The September morning was overcast and cold as the girls jumped out of the car while James opted to stay inside the car while they made the usual stop at Dennis' wee shop on their way to start their last year at school. Marco clasped hands with James and called goodbye to the girls before making his way to the bus stop. Orla had noticed that he seemed quiet on this particular morning. He even seemed distant when kissing her goodbye. Orla made a beeline and grabbed Erin by the wrist with haste before she entered the shop.

"Erin, can ye grab us a Dip Dab and a Curly Wurly?" She quickly placed some money into Erin's hand.

"Catch yourself on. Why can't you do it?" Erin moaned. Seeing her look in Marco's direction, Erin melted at her pleading expression. "Aye, OK." Erin watched with concern as Orla ran after him.

Marco was startled as he was spun around, and Orla gripped him tight. He huffed with a smile as he reciprocated.

"Hey, what's up?"

"What's wrong Marco?" Orla asked worryingly.

"What?" Marco asked.

"I know that something's wrong. What is it?" Orla frowned at him.

Marco lowered his face. Realizing his demeanour was obvious. "..... It's nothing, really." He sighed.

"Then why won't ya tell me? What's wrong, Bear?" Orla frowned sadly, grabbing his hands, she made eye contact with him.

"It's just.... Look, I'll tell you later, OK?" He said. Orla said nothing. She shuffled awkwardly; she didn't want him to go looking so down. She then lowered his head and nestled herself in his hair, brushing the newly cut short back and sides against her cheeks. Just then, they were distracted by a pair of students staring awkwardly at them as they walked past.