Chapter 17

His first official car, (not counting the dozens of demolition cars he's gone through), obviously had something wrong with it, and although a couple of his mom's friends were mechanics, and he grew up with them,  he still wasn't the most skilled when it came to fixing cars. He could change the oil, or a tire, and maybe if he had a tutorial he could do the bare minimum work, but anything else was beyond his knowledge. Diagnosing what was wrong was completely out of the question, so when his car started making weird noises and stuttering, he did his best to try and ignore it. But when the steering wheel started locking up while he was driving it, he decided it wasn't the best sign.

   Luke was the dedicated mechanic of the group, so of course when Jake was having issues with his car, that was the first person he went to.

   "I'm really sorry Jake, but I'm booked." Luke sighed, scratching at the back of his head with an oil stained hand. He was halfway under a car when Jake had finally found him in one of the garages.

   "But!" Luke cut Jake off before he could get a word in. "There's this huge board thing in garage A where people tend to hang up posters and stuff. I've seen people advertising their work? Maybe you could find someone there? It'd definitely be cheaper than a regular shop."

   "Alright, thank you Luke!" Jake saluted to him before walking off, leaving him in peace to finish fixing the car he was working on.

   Just as Luke had mentioned, there was a large cork-board on the wall. Many fliers were hung up on it, not all necessarily having to do with the topic of mechanics and cars. He saw one advertising a middle school choir concert from a year ago, and he cringed to himself as he realized a lot of these papers were out of date. He felt his hope dwindling and he prayed silently that he'd be able to scrounge up a number of a mechanic that would still be in business.

   He was debating counting a loss and just resorting to going to his mom's friend's mechanic shop before he felt the presence of someone behind him.

   Looking over his shoulder, he was greeted with plum hair. Because of course it was Drew, the guy always ends up finding him some where or another.

   "Oh, hey." He greeted lamely. Drew was just a step behind him, looking at the wall along with him with a bored gaze. Jake wondered if Drew had actually come here to look at the board or just to have an excuse to talk to him.

   Drew looked to Jake's hand, where he was holding a slip of paper with a mechanics number on it. It was one of those tear offs, and the poster only had one or two slips remaining on it.

  "Do you need your car fixed, or what?" Drew asked lamely, his gaze filtering up to Jake's face. His brown eyes were dark, but the sun was hitting the corner of his face and outlining his tan skin in a golden hue. Jake looked back to the board.

   "Yeah..." He trailed off, "just hoping that these posters aren't too old."

   "Good luck. I'm pretty sure most of those have been up there for years." Drew snickered. "What, will Luke not fix your car? I thought that was his thing."

   Jake didn't bother to ask how Drew even knew that or why he bothered to remember that fact despite his seemingly never-ending hate towards his group of friends.

   "Nope, he's lined up." Jake hummed, both him and Drew standing side by side while looking at the board. He was running out of colorful posters to look at, and his neck grew hot when he realized that Drew was fully turned towards him now. He tried not to sweat thinking about the set of eyes watching him. "I think he was working on his boyfriend's car today."

"I can do it for you." Drew offered.

   Jake looked at him, surprised. His face was closed off, which wasn't unusual for him, but there was something else there, too.