chapter 14 - revelation

Y/n was giddy, to say the least. She had practically skipped home after the concert.

Oh, and Lyney's magic trick! Their hands had slightly grazed when Lyney was giving her a playing card, but her heart still rushed for she had grazed the idol Lyney's hand!

She giggled to herself just thinking about it, startling Glacé. The white cat glared at her with sharp, blue eyes.

"Oh, sorry, Glacé." Y/n frowned, and turned towards the signed album that laid on the desk. She knew she should be going to bed, after all, she was tired, and it was 01:05.

She reached for the album, Lyney and Lynette's signatures scribbled across the front of the album. Fidgeting, she flipped it around and opened it, a note falling out.

"Huh?" She furrowed her eyebrows, plucking the small white sheet of paper. She flipped it to the side with the writing.

Thanks for coming and purchasing backstage tickets. I could have given you a discount, though. Freminet says hi! Also do you want to finish the math homework we were assigned together on Friday? I'm having trouble and Mr. Etienne is bad at explaining.

Love,
Lyney (& the Hearths) (but mostly Lyney)

Y/n froze, her hands becoming cold and clammy. Was this a prank? Couldn't be, right? She never told anybody she got a backstage pass...no, it was too much. She could just think it over in the morning.

Y/n sat down at her desk after getting dressed and eating breakfast.

Okay, now, for the note. She read it over. Read it over again. Her eyes widened. She wasn't hallucinating; this is what the note really said...

How did I miss something like that...Wait, her cheeks flushed, a hot sensation flossing her face and neck. Does that mean his song was about me? I'm the one who he has a crush on. Wait, my idol has a crush on me? What is even Teyvat? She grinned despite herself and her confusion. No wonder she found her nerdy friend a little cute, he was literally her celebrity crush.

You
Lyney. Call me right now.

Her phone rung a mere ten seconds later , and she picked it up immediately. "Hey," Lyney greeted nonchalantly, and she could hear the smug grin on the other side of the phone. "Wasn't idol Lyney's concert last night? How'd that go?"

"I think you know," she deadpanned through her voice, but her smile was still on her face.

Lyney burst with laughter, cackling. "I really needed to write you a letter clarifying my identity for you to finally get it?"

"Shut up. How was I supposed to know my best friend is Teyvat's ultimate superstar?"

"Oh, I dunno. Shared names, a mansion, brilliant singing voice? Same hair and eye color?"

"Okay, shush! I'm actually embarrassed now. Oh and that love song—"

She heard Lyney spitting out his coffee on the other side of the phone. "What song? Y'know I'm actually just kidding! I'm not an idol at all! I'm just messin with ya'," He sputtered.

"Whatever. And yes, I'm free on Friday to work on homework."

"Yay!"

*

Lyney was actually looking forward to homework, which would sound weird and completely out of character if taken out of context.

He hummed with a smile on his face towards the café he and y/n had met up at multiple times before, and happily pushed the doors open to the café.

He saw y/n pouring over her homework at the table they normally sat at, and he sat next to her instead of across from her. She smiled at him, making him grin wider. "Hi, Lyney!"

"Hello, y/n," he said, giving her the "idol" wink. He was satisfied when a blush bloomed on her cheeks.

"Okay, idol, " she rolled her eyes playfully, bumping his shoulder with hers.

"Isn't this technically a date, now?" He teased, putting his hand on his palm innocently.

He expected y/n to become flustered, but instead, she replied, "Yes, it is, Mr. Love Song."

Lyney stared, open-mouthed, blushing at the girl's boldness. He coughed into his hand, trying to recover himself from his fluster. "Ah-um-okay..." he muttered weakly.

The waitress stopped by their table and smiled at them. "What would you like today?"

This is my chance to impress her! "We'll have two cinnamon toast mochas, a pate de fruit, and a cheesecake."

"Will that be all?"

He glanced at y/n for confirmation and when she nodded, he replied, "Yes, thank you."

Y/n'as eyebrows furrowed. "How do you know if I wanted a cheesecake today and not a brownie?"

Lyney froze. "I'm sorry, did you want—"

Y/n chuckled, giving him a playful push on the shoulder. "I'm just kidding, I'm just really happy you remembered what I like."

He blushed and looked away. "Yeah, no problem..." he glanced at the homework in front of them, and slowly pushed it to the other side of the table.

"What are you doing?" She asked in a warning tone.

"You said this was a date, we can't have the homework third-wheel," he smiled slyly.

She raised an eyebrow. "It's a study date. Because we study. On the date."

He rolled his eyes, "Studying's dumb..." he grumbled, earning a homework packet being slapped on the back of his head.

*

"...does that make sense?" Y/n asked him after giving a lengthy explanation on calculus. She saw Lyney's bewildered expression, "And I lost you..."

Lyney jumped. "No, no, not at all! I just need to...process the information," he claimed as he drank from his coffee, eyeing the homework.

She sighed, shaking her head and digging her fork into her cheesecake. "Why are these slices so small..." she mumbled under her breath.

Lyney raised his hand to grab the waitress's attention, "Hello, can we get another cheesecake slice please?"

After the waitress smiled and left to the back, y/n turned to him, "You didn't have to do that!"

"Oh, yes, but I wanted to," he grinned at her shamelessly. "Don't worry, I'll get the bill."

"Thank you..." she tucked her chin into her palm bashfully. "...so for the um-" she stammered, "-the cosine here you'll want to simplify..."

*

Lyney paid the check, complete with his signature and a generous tip. Y/n waited for him by the cafe door, which had sunlight beaming through its large windows. They exited into the familiar trail, and the winter breeze blew through their hair and swirled the surrounding snow.

"So..." he began, trying to find a topic for conversation, "you liked the concert?"

Y/n's shoulders jerked forward as she began to laugh. "I didn't like it, Lyney," she claimed, making Lyney's heart drop, "I loved it!"

Lyney fumed at her tease and threw off her balance by knocking his side into hers, playfully.