Chapter 3

"Tell me it's not true..."

He slumped on the floor, keeping his eyes low for fear of looking into mine. I ensured he was kept healthy and fed, as shown by the tightness in his skin and shininess in his hair even after a few days of feeding. But, no matter how much I fed him, Jungkook felt extremely weak and suffocated by the world around him.

"Please, at least tell me this is all a dream," he begged and sobbed, or at least tried to. His frustration only increased, realizing that he couldn't produce any tears no matter how much he ached on the inside.

He screamed in vain and wailed like a child. He was a fledgling after all so I wasn't quite sure if he reacted this way because of that or if he was naturally like this.

In all honesty, I didn't quite know what to do. I flirted, danced, and maybe occasionally made fun of humans, but it had been a long time since I had to understand one. Not until I saw Jungkook at the bar that day.

"Jungkook," I said almost muted. I knew he would still hear me just as he had before.

"Would you want to see the sun?"

He stilled after a few extra heaves of air. His eyes rose slowly, the two of our bodies separated by even distance away from the very silver bars locking him in. His hands were still barely holding himself up on the floor as he looked strangely at me.

He also didn't understand me in that moment. Why I had chosen not to respond to any of his earlier questions and instead offer the most bizarre thing.

"Yes," He said expectedly. He wanted any morsel of understanding of what had happened to him and if I were to offer anything, no matter how strange it was, he would accept it he thought to himself.

I closed the distance between me and him, opening the cell door, and lowering myself. Carefully I took out a key and separated the chains from the floor so that he was free to move. The metal was still handcuffed around his wrists, the veins in his arms flexing from the burning sensation that would not go away.

He wondered why I trusted he wouldn't run away at that moment, but he was far too fearful to move any amount. I walked back by the edge of the cage I had kept him in, "Are you coming?" I asked.

He rose in place, his body shivering in hesitation. Slowly he treaded behind me, keeping a good meter distance. We walked silently in the cavernous underground that was much larger than Jungkook initially thought. His eyes intently studied the space around him, perhaps looking for an escape or fearful of anything that might attack him again.

There were a few more cells lined next to each other, all of which were empty, previously containing the prey in which I caught for my fledgeling to feed on. Their blood stained the cell bars when they struggled to keep still when I brought them one by one. His eyes flickered in that direction, gasping a small breath of surprise, but not saying a word.

After several more paces and turns, and even a couple steps that would bring us closer to the surface, a soft glow could be seen from a bit away. Silently we approached the light, a circular beam falling gently to the floor. The carved designs from the glass pane allowed the light to curve and sing to a beautiful design. The glow was so bright that you could see the specks of dust from the stone floors, floating in the air.

I stayed in the dark while Jungkook took a few steps forward, unaware of the harm that might befall him. He looked at me, seeing that I stayed in the dark. I gave no reaction to his movements, which only made him more weary.

His hand reached out, gradually and hopeful to feel the glowing warmth on his skin. However, the cry of agony that fell from his lips proved otherwise.