Sports fest: The race

The weeks went by, and Jake and I just sort of coasted through. The attack on the USJ has everyone on edge, but the school still decided to hold their annual sports fest, because it wouldn't be a high school anime without one now, would it? Honestly, I thought they might at least delay it a bit, but it's still working in order. Everyone's putting their all into the prep for the sports fest, even me. I've been trying to level up my stamina and speed by doing laps around the school. Jake's been focusing on his upper body so that he can lift heavier stuff with his prosthetic. And before we knew it, the sports fest had begun.

Luckily Jake didn't have to sign any quirk assistance gear papers for his arm, they just saw it as 'levelling the playing field' since everyone else has two arms. We were all geared up at the start line. I'm not planning for a major win here, so long as I get in the top 3, my plan should work. The start gun flares off and everyone takes off running. Jake hops on my back for a ride as everyone starts crowding through the tunnel, I held to the back of the group so I could give myself a running start. I forced the earth to propel us up and over the rest of the crowd and made the air solid for me to bounce off of when I started to lose air. I should really come up with a name for that move. Air discs? Platforms? No that's dumb, let's not think about that right now, Todoroki froze the entire crown and is careering ahead with his ice.

We were met with these giant robots once we cleared the crowd. No time to fight, just be fast. Todoroki froze the big one, attacking and defending in one hit. I kept using the air discs to evade, making some of them have some give so I could use them like a trampoline. Just as I'm about to land on one of them however, this sudden rush of wind comes racing past me and I get smacked on the upside of the head. It's one of the students from class 1-B. And now I'm falling. Jake sends out his arm to grab anything in range and pulls us up and onto one of the robots. Lucky for us, his real arm was holding onto me, meaning that I didn't sustain nearly as much damage as I would have otherwise, he uses the blood in my body to fix me if he can so long as he can touch me. I sent out another trampoline disc and leap towards it, I refuse to lose this festival, I have to win. Bakugo, Sero, Tokoyami and Iida are already ahead of us at this point, and I can see the kid that hit me in the distance.

We catch up to the group, both on foot now to conserve my energy. I have to pick Jake up every now and then so he can use his inhaler, but otherwise were making good time, and maybe this act of humility will earn me extra points. Jake knows about my plan too, so he's helping me win rather than thinking for himself. He knows I need to get on that podium. We manage to catch up to the 1-B kid. She's actually a lot shorter than I thought shed be, she has baby blue hair that she tied in a ponytail for the race, but still reaches her waist, and she has these intense steely grey eyes. She's running with some sort of staff too, must be a quirk assistant.

"Hey man, kinda rude to hit me like that back there!" I call out to her as I keep pace. She says nothing. "Hello? I know were competing against each other, but its just a bit of banter dude, don't take it to heart." I just get a glare in return. Dam, she's cold. She's gonna be my friend. I grab Jake and push myself harder to get ahead of this kid, I hear her let out a frustrated breath behind me.

Were suddenly met with this huge chasm that's stopped a lot of our competitors. Some girl from the support course is making her way across.

"This time, you grab me." Jake told me between wheezy breaths.

"Catch your breath first dude." He takes a big breath from his inhaler and points at me to get on his back, only letting out his breath once he jumped over the edge. He used his arm to grapple us across like spider-man, god what I wouldn't give to be MJ, now that's an awesome hero right there. I see the girl from 1-B pass overhead with ease, her staff is actually a glider, she must have some sort of wind or air quirk. Yes yes, I know this idea is from the last air bender, but an idea can be used twice ya know.

We reached the other side in good time, we were still ahead of the main crowd, but we had a new problem, the next obstacle was a literal minefield. Most people took it slow and steady, but I needed to get to that finish line.

"Hey Marco!" Jake called out to some Latino surfer-looking guy from 1-B

"Why are you fraternizing with the enemy dude?!" I couldn't stop Jake from going up to this guy though. Marco was about 6ft with tan, toned skin. His face legit looked like it was straight out of some sort of surfer magazine with a chilled face and somehow semi wet dark hair like he just came out of the ocean. You know what? Just picture a modern version of Poseidon but a highschooler and that's probably a better picture than I'm giving.

"Oh hey Jake, what's up?" Marco asked

"Reckon you could help me and Charlotte across?" Jake asked, he looked somewhat pinker than normal.

"You, I can do, but I don't have a reason to help her I'm afraid." Marco shrugged and started to turn away to make his own way across the mine field.

"Wait, wait, wait!" Jake rushed up to him and whispered something in his ear

"Ok, you got me. Come on Princessa." He gestured for me and Jake to get behind me, but before he set off, we were interrupted again by the blue hair girl from 1-B. She was making frantic hand gestures at Marco and pointing at the two of us. "Fine! No need to throw a tantrum Pendejo." The girl took a space behind me and Jake and smacked Marco on the upside of the head.

Marco swung his arms behind him like a half-hearted Naruto run, water started pouring from his palms like a faucet and our feet were engulfed in this water bubble. The bubble rapidly grew and started to shoot off down the minefield, absorbing mines as we went but muffling the explosions. We were almost at the end of the field; I could see Todoroki and Bakugo racing for first and Midoriya was flying past on our left. I suddenly felt the water come up to my waist as I was pulled above everyone else and swung forward. It was like the water bubble had grown an arm. I stopped myself from panicking and focused on my goal. I safety rolled as I hit the ground, using my momentum to keep my legs running. I was about to at least get second place as I rapidly caught up, but Midoriya swooped in and stole first as Todoroki, Bakugo and I dove for the finish.