Summer & Spring

Vel was more than happy to exchange the sweltering heat and smoky scent of Beron's study for the dry warmth and the salt-kissed breeze of Adriata. The sparkling turquoise waters reached as far as her eyes could see, melting into the horizon. Somewhere further, Hybern lay in wait.

Despite being bound to Prythian and spending her entire life on the island, she had never felt the urge to explore other lands. The curiosity had been there, naturally, but nothing that couldn't be quelled by stories or books. On a few occasions, she had flown towards the Continent, more of a test of her limits than anything else. She caught glimpses of its rocky hills and ancient forests before exhaustion overcame her, threatening to send her plunging into the sea. Yet, those distant lands never beckoned to her the way Prythian did. As if underneath the dirt and rocks, the island was a living, breathing creature. The wind through its pines a whisper. The rushing rivers a song of its blood. If the island was alive, then the sea was its lover, the waves an endless caress that soothed the rugged coastline.

"I apologize for keeping you waiting, Oracle."

"No need to apologize, Tarquin. It is my own fault for visiting on such short notice. How have you been faring?"

Vel turned away from the open window and towards the High Lord of Summer. Although he looked mostly the same as the day she'd given him the Aether, there was something in his crystal blue eyes that made him look much older, as if a century had passed since then. Yet, he was not even a century old himself, the youngest of all High Lords.

"It's been ... challenging, to say the least."

As she beheld the wariness on his face, Vel felt guilty for not spending more time in the Summer Court. For not guiding him more closely. She'd been too caught up in her personal problems. Her duties were already slipping.

"I've heard about what happened with the Book of Breathings." The moment the words left her lips his once warm gaze hardened. "I am sorry it had to go that way," Vel added quietly and a muscle feathered in Tarquin's jaw. He stood on the other side of the room, the oak dining table between them.

"I wanted to believe the best of the Night Court, despite all the evidence suggesting otherwise, and I ended up being taken for a fool. But it made me realize that perhaps they were not the only ones I'd trusted too easily." Those blue eyes washed over her, measuring every move.

"The truth lies somewhere in the middle. High Lords are neither entirely evil nor perfectly virtuous. They merely do what they think is best for their courts." Vel cocked her head to the side. "But I assume the last part of what you just said is not about any High Lord. I came here after meeting with Beron and I will be going to the Spring Court after. I would greatly appreciate it if you could speak plainly."

Tarquin was silent for a moment, seemingly weighing his options. "You've advised me well so far, especially after I became High Lord during Amarantha's reign. And yet, I can't help but wonder, who your loyalty truly lies with. Certainly, you would have known that Rhysand was planning to betray me and steal the Book of Breathings. You've warned me about more minor things, why not warn me about this?"

"My allegiance is not to any court but to Prythian as a whole. Rhys needed the Book to nullify the Cauldron's power, to prevent a full-out war with Hybern. Unfortunately, that plan went up in smoke. Among other things, the Cauldron also blocks my visions. It's why I'm actually here – I'm summoning the High Lords for a meeting in thirteen days."

"I see." He said tersely. Tarquin walked around the dining table, hands clasped behind his back. He came to stand next to her but didn't look her way. Instead, his eyes roamed over the endless sea. "You were working with the Night Court then, to prevent this war. You know me better than Rhysand does. Yet you advised him to steal the Book."