Chapter 17

Once they reached the centre, they were surprised about the ease of access into the building. Only to notice it was because if there was an army camp set up here, something bad happened. The air was thick with a subtle but noticeable green mist. "Not feeling this one chief. Gonna be honest." Connor remarks, giving the area a look around.
"That's because you say thing like 'chief' let's go."
"Whoa! Don't be so hasty. You two can see that mist, right?" Hailey asks.
"Now that you mention it, yeah." Jacob says, mildly annoyed.

"We should solider on. The masks are here for a reason."
"Yeah, but can they filter out a near fungal spore like haze in the air?"
"You play too many video games! Gas masks got through poison gas. And that was in World War 2, in the 40s."
"Fair point actually." Connor muses. Hailey groans.
"No, not 'fair point actually' this isn't a good idea!"
"If your boyfriend was potentially in there, you'd be going after him. So will I." Jacob says, taking a step inside. To prove his point, the guy took a deep inhale of the air around him. "I haven't turned into the Hulk yet. I'd say we're doing good."

With Jacob taking the plunge, the other two figure they should be fine as long as they take shallow breaths and don't excert themselves too hard. They'd get by. Whilst wandering, they took in the surreal sight of a shopping mall being 100% abandoned. Not only were they wrong, but it was gonna feel like an age had passed before they'd be outside again.