CHAPTER 6

AS SARAH stepped through the front door of her home, she was greeted by the warm embrace of her aunt Joanna. "Oh, Sarah, thank goodness you're okay," Joanna exclaimed, pulling her niece into a tight hug.

Sarah returned the hug gratefully, feeling a sense of comfort wash over her in her aunt's embrace. "I'm okay, Aunt Joanna," she reassured her, her voice tinged with exhaustion. "Just a little shaken up, that's all."

Joanna pulled back, concern etched on her face as she studied Sarah's pale complexion and weary eyes. "Why don't you go wash up, sweetheart? Dinner's almost ready, and I made your favorite."

A small smile tugged at the corners of Sarah's lips as she nodded, grateful for her aunt's comforting presence. "That sounds wonderful, Aunt Joanna. Thank you."

As they sat down to eat, Sarah found herself lost in thought, her mind still reeling from the events of the day. The food tasted bland on her tongue, the flavors muted by the overwhelming sense of unease that gnawed at her insides.

After dinner, Sarah retreated to her room, her heart heavy with a sense of foreboding. She knew that sleep would not come easily tonight—that the darkness held more terrors than she could possibly imagine.

But despite her fear, exhaustion soon won out, and Sarah found herself drifting off into a fitful slumber. In her dreams, she found herself standing in a sunlit meadow, the gentle breeze whispering through the tall grass as she watched a faceless boy approach.

 In her dreams, she found herself standing in a sunlit meadow, the gentle breeze whispering through the tall grass as she watched a faceless boy approach

He was kind and sweet, his presence filling her with a sense of peace that she had not felt in a long time. They talked and laughed, their voices mingling with the rustle of the wind and the song of the birds.

But just as suddenly as he had appeared, the boy was gone, leaving Sarah standing alone in the empty meadow, tears streaming down her face as she reached out for him, desperate to hold onto the fleeting dream.

In the stillness of the night, a voice broke through the silence, gentle yet firm. "Sarah, darling, why are you still awake?" It was Aunt Joanna, her voice a soothing balm to Sarah's troubled soul.

Sarah's heart skipped a beat as she heard her aunt's voice, a lifeline in the darkness. ""I just woke up because of a dream."," she replied, her voice barely a whisper, laden with emotion.

The door creaked open, and Aunt Joanna's silhouette appeared in the doorway, a comforting presence in the dimly lit room. "May I come in?" she asked softly, her eyes full of concern.

Sarah nodded, her throat tight with emotion. "Yes,Please come in," she whispered, her voice barely audible.

Aunt Joanna crossed the room in a few swift strides, her steps sure and steady. She sat down on the edge of Sarah's bed, reaching out to brush away the tears that stained her niece's cheeks. "Oh, my dear Sarah, what troubles your heart?" she asked, her voice filled with genuine concern.

Sarah struggled to find the words, her emotions threatening to overwhelm her. "I-I had a dream," she began, her voice trembling. "There was a boy, and he... he disappeared before my eyes. I felt so lost, so alone..."

Aunt Joanna listened in silence, her hand resting gently on Sarah's shoulder. "Dreams can be strange and unsettling, my dear," she said finally, her tone gentle yet reassuring. "But you are not alone. I am here for you, always."

Sarah's tears continued to fall, but now they were tears of gratitude, of relief at having someone to share her burdens with. She leaned into her aunt's comforting embrace, feeling a glimmer of hope begin to blossom in her heart.

And as the night stretched on, Aunt Joanna stayed by Sarah's side, offering words of comfort and wisdom until the first light of dawn crept through the window, banishing the shadows of the night. Together, they faced the darkness, knowing that as long as they had each other, they could conquer any fear that dared to haunt their dreams.

And then, with a start, Sarah awoke, her cheeks wet with tears as she blinked back the remnants of her dream. She couldn't shake the feeling of loss that lingered in her heart, as if a part of her had been torn away with the fading memory of the faceless boy.

As she lay there in the darkness, Sarah knew that sleep would elude her once more—that the nightmares would return to claim her, dragging her back into the depths of the darkness from which she had only just escaped. But for now, she closed her eyes and let the tears fall, knowing that she was not alone—that her aunt Joanna was just a heartbeat away, ready to offer comfort and solace in her time of need.