Chapter 14: Betrayal at Grim's Gate

As the ship docked at Grim's Gate, the air was thick with tension, a palpable sense of danger hanging over the port city like a shroud. Steph and her party disembarked, their senses on high alert as they made their way through the crowded streets, wary of the lurking threat that awaited them.

But before they could make their next move, they were ambushed by a group of sinister figures—humans who had forsaken their humanity in exchange for power and protection from the demon king. With eyes ablaze with demonic fervor, they launched a relentless assault upon Steph and her companions, their loyalty to their dark master unwavering.

Caught off guard by the sudden betrayal, Steph and her allies fought valiantly to defend themselves against the onslaught, their blades flashing in the dim light as they clashed with their assailants. But the demon loyalists fought with a ferocity born of their unholy allegiance, their every strike fueled by the dark powers they had embraced.

As the battle raged on, Steph found herself pushed to her limits, her strength flagging as wave after wave of enemies descended upon her. But with the unwavering support of her companions, she refused to yield, drawing upon her inner reserves of courage and determination to stand firm against the tide of darkness.

In the midst of the chaos, Elias unleashed torrents of arcane energy, his spells striking true as he sought to turn the tide of battle in their favor. Beside him, Cloud unleashed a barrage of arrows, his aim unerring as he picked off their foes with deadly precision.

But even as they fought with all their might, it soon became clear that the demon loyalists were relentless in their assault, their numbers overwhelming as they closed in on Steph and her companions from all sides.

With no other recourse, Steph made a split-second decision, rallying her allies to retreat to higher ground, where they could regroup and plan their next move away from the throngs of demon loyalists. With grit and determination, they fought their way through the crowded streets, their hearts heavy with the knowledge that the true battle had only just begun.