Witch of the Woods

Author notes: This is based on/inspired by a video game called Dark Pictures: House of Ash. Events take place after the game's storyline, so you shouldn't need to know the game to understand it. Granted, there might be mention of events from the game. For example, one character might mention the space vampires. You might be confused by what that is, but you won't be alone. Zeddle doesn't even know what Vampires are to begin with. I might use him asking about it to give you all some backstory on that. But please enjoy this piece of work!

*******

"Zeddle, don't wander too far!" his mother's voice echoed from their hidden home.

"I won't, mom!" he called back.

He was a responsible ten-year-old borrower boy, and today, like every day, he was helping his family gather supplies and caring for his two younger sisters, Flare and Varsha. His family lived in a big borrower colony deep in a lush forest. Zeddle had only heard stories of humans; he'd never seen the bigger counterpart. His home was hidden away from human civilization. Humans never ventured that deep into the wilderness. The only danger they had besides wild animals was the threat of a giant witch of woods. It was said the witch looked like a human and was probably the reason, that kept humans out. Unfortunately, the Witch of the Woods had little love for the tiny people and would often curse them, or borrowers would go missing to never be seen again. Zeddle was always told to run and hide if he encountered this danger.

While foraging for food and materials for his parents and keeping an eye on his younger siblings, Zeddle felt the air around him go cold.

Suddenly, a twisted figure emerged from the shadows – the giant witch of the woods.

"Well, well, what have we here?" she crooned, her voice dripping with malice. "Ah, what a delicious morsel you are," she cackled, her voice like nails on a chalkboard. She towered over Zeddle. Zeddle turns to his sisters.

"Run!" Zeddle shouted to his little sisters. The twins turned and booked it back home. Zeddle turned to distract the Witch from his sisters.

"Hey, down here, you ugly hag!"

The Witch sneered at him, waved a gnarled hand over him, and, with an evil grin, whispered, "Begone!"

Suddenly, everything went dark, and Zeddle felt his body being tossed through space. When he landed, he found himself dangling from strings tied to his limbs.

Zeddle's heart hammered in his tiny chest as the strings cut into his wrists and ankles. The hot desert sun beat down on him, leaving him sunburnt and parched. His mouse-skin shirt and pants felt way too warm for this weather. He had no idea where the witch had sent him.

Around him towered massive humans, their thunderous voices booming in a language he could not comprehend. Zeddle craned his neck, peering around the stall that held him captive. Rows of lifeless puppets surrounded him, their dead eyes and frozen smiles taunting him.

He had to get free before one of the giants noticed he was alive. Zeddle twisted his wrists, wincing as the strings dug deeper. It was no use. He was bound too tightly. A bead of sweat trickled down his forehead as he watched the giants meander past.

Zeddle's mind raced. How would he get back home? Did his family even know he was missing? He thought of his little sisters Flare and Varsha, how frightened they must be. A lump formed in his throat.