Chapter 25

Anthony had to escape his racing heart and mind, disappearing for a breath of fresh air. On his way back, returning to the ball room, his gaze fell upon a slightly ajar door which he heard a familiar voice. Pushing it open ever so quietly, there in front of him he saw Evienne and the Duke.

Silently Anthony watched as the Duke approached Evienne, a small velvet box clutched tightly in his hand, he dropped to one knee, his words lost amidst Anthony's pounding heart.

For Anthony, the world seemed to stand still in that moment, a frozen moment of unspoken desires and shattered dreams. He felt a surge of anguish rise within him as he watched on at the scene unfolding before him.

Overwhelmed by the burden of his heartache, Anthony found himself unable to endure another moment of the proposal unfolding before him.

His gaze drifted, until it collided with Evienne's, and in that fleeting instant, everything fell into place. It was as if the universe had conspired to align their paths, rendering everything else inconsequential.

He couldn't help but envision himself in the Duke's shoes, kneeling before her, pledging a lifetime together. Images of their future danced through his mind - the tender moments, the shared joys, and the prospect of children they would nurture together.

He saw how effortlessly Evienne connected with his siblings, the warmth between her and his mother, painting a picture of a family bound by love and unity.

Yet that moment was only fleeting,his footsteps echoing hollowly against the marble floor as he made his way to his carriage. The cool night air offered little solace as he leaned against the balustrade, his heart heavy with regret and longing