An Elegy to Her End

Once again as always, the boy stared at that scenery once more. The same one in The Dream's Edge. He could see the edge of the whole dreamscape from here; skyscrapers that stretched past towards the horizon, as if giving a warm hug, the sky a shade of warm blue, littered with clouds that looked like cotton candy pieces..

And the stars.

The volley of stars that rained down from the skies, yearning for the earth below, rushing to embrace it.

The scene was so warm. It was as hospitable and welcoming as the day he was first introduced to it. He remembered as that girl took his hand and took him up the stairs to this very spot. He remembered how the two of them sat next to each other, how he listened to the girl as she described how much the view meant to her, just like all her experiences in this place...

Just like the short time they spent together.

But why did this place that once welcomed him now feel so cold? Why did he feel like a thousand needles were slowly making their way up his insides? Why did he feel like leaving but at the same time, didn't want to?

He let out a sigh. The boy knew exactly why he felt that way.

Because she was no longer there beside him.

Because that place was the most prominent trace of her in his head.

Because even now, he still wasn't able to let her go.

But he wondered why he trusted her despite knowing she had a lot to hide.

But there was no use asking that question now, was there?

"Ah, Caelus. So this was where you've been all this time..."

A familiar voice interrupted his thoughts. He looked behind him to be greeted by the smiling face of a pink-haired girl, a camera on hand as always. Her blueish-pink eyes sparkled as she stood there and basked in the scenery. The boy couldn't help but show a strained smile on his face.

"March..." he said, "What are you doing here?"

"Looking for you, obviously. You didn't pick up my calls."

Caelus quickly grabbed his phone from his pocket, swiping through countless screens to find his phone overloaded with missed calls; 12 missed calls to be exact. An awkward smile crossed his face as he scratched the back of his head, "Sorry... Were you worried?"

"Of course I was!" she exclaimed, "With what's been happening since we got here..."

Caelus had his eyes downcast, "I'm sorry..."

March just smiled warmly, taking a seat next to him, "Hey, don't be. I'm just glad you're okay."

But to that, she didn't get a smile or a nod or just...anything to be frank. Caelus just sat there silently. He looked forward with a solemn expression. He had to look forward, that's what she would've wanted anyway. She'd be devastated if he just sat there, empty. The girl next to him could only look at him quizzically. After all, she wasn't with him when all that happened. What could she know?

He could only force a smile as he tried to stand up and walk back despite the protests his mind and body gave him. He felt frozen in time, never being able to leave, never even wanting to leave. He felt like if he left, he'd forget everything, he'd leave everything behind. So he had no choice but to get back up again.

But just as he was about to walk, a hand pulled him back where he was. He turned back, his eyes widened, to see March's concerned look.

"Talk to me. It's not like you to stay all quiet. Are you alright, Caelus? Tell me."