Chapter 2

"What? Oh Allah, I knew it." I mumbled as I moved closer to my window.

I still had a surprised expression as I watched my sister Mihrimah, in her cloak, talking to Taslicali in the garden.

"Sultanim-"

"Damla! How many times should I tell you to come walking loudly and not sneak in like that!" I gasped as I got a little scared and distracted as my maid, walked to me and bowed down.

"Forgive me, my sultana. Mahidevran sultan requests your presence in the harem room for lunch." She squealed

I nodded my head and sighed as I picked up my skirts and made my way out of the chambers, as Damla and the other maid Nur followed me.

"Validam, sultana." I greeted my mother and Hurrem as I gave them a bow.

"Come here, daughter." My mom said to which I took my place near her and opposite Mihrimah.

I looked at the food and took a bite of my slice of bread as I glanced at the frightened Hurrem sultan who wasn't taking a bite.

"Do not worry, they're not poisoned." My mother said with a smile which was far from friendly.

"I'm trying to be careful. You did it before." Hurrem snapped as she opened her maid's mouth and tugged the food in it. After a moment, she began eating as well.

"I heard you started a a foundation, called every important wife to the harem. What are you doing, Hurrem? Do you want to rule the empire?" My mother asked with a venomous smile as she spoke sarcastically.

"Birds have you all chirped, you know everything." Hurrem smiled ironically.

"It is not easy to be the heir of the throne." My mom spat with some annoyance. Those words made me think of my brothers and the situation that was gonna happen someday.

"I can not disagree with you. You can be beheaded for the smallest mistake." Hurrem said quietly but loud enough for everyone to hear and my mother's smile quickly faded.

"Hurrem Sultan, did Mihrimah tell you about her walk in the garden?" I interrupted them with a friendly tone as I raised my eyebrows.

"No. Did you enjoy walking in the garden?" Hurrem asked but there was obvious confusion and suspicion on her face.

My words made my mother look at me with a questioning gaze and Mihrimah got really nervous as she glanced at me and then back at her mother as she saw that I didn't speak more or expose her.

"Yes, I was admiring the alleys and my brothers arching." Mihrimah said as she looked down again and took a sip of her cup of serbet.

"Let me know next time, I'll go to. Maybe we can walk together, right Fatma?" My mother asked with a more genuine smile.

"Of course." Mihrimah nodded and glanced at me again. I smiled slightly and even Hurrem sultan did so.

"Fatma! Fatma! Wait!" Mihrimah called after me as she was hurrying with her skirts a little lifted in her hands and her maids after her.