22

Blair POV.

Birds chirp outside the window, and it is dawn. I open my eyes for a moment and slowly sit up in bed.

There is the sound of water in the bathroom.

After the water stops, George walks out wrapped in a bathrobe and says that Antonio's parents will bring Antonio to pick me up later. They think I just had an argument with Antonio, and that's why I'm staying with my brother.

I don't even want to look at George, just go to wash my face and brush my teeth without saying a word, then head downstairs for breakfast.

Around ten in the morning, the ornate gate of Sea of Clouds opens, and a car drives into the garden.

Antonio's father, Mr. Moretti, and Antonio get out of the car one after the other. The servants in the garden can't help but glance at them curiously.

Mr. Moretti actually has two sons. However, compared to his eldest son, who has taken over the family business and is well-known, the younger son Antonio leaves a more vague impression. Being a doctor might be a good profession in the eyes of ordinary people, but in an old-money family, it's seen as a lack of ambition.

"From today on, just stay at home with Blair and don't go to work at the hospital," the man walking ahead says. "Your wife is pregnant, and you can't run around every day."

Antonio follows behind his father without speaking.

Reaching the steps of the corridor, the man continues, "I've told you many times, I don't ask much of you. I just want you to get married and have children, like everyone else..."

Antonio listens with his head down, not arguing a single word.

I'm sunbathing in a corner of the garden. The sunlight falls on Mr. Moretti's face, obscuring his features from my view. His demeanor almost makes me forget that a young man drowned yesterday, seemingly unrelated to him.

I put down the pillow in my arms and stand up.

Mr. Moretti is still speaking, "...What were you doing at the beach?! You're married now, do you understand? All you do is mess things up, embarrassing our family..."

I step out from the flowers, and the scolding abruptly stops.

Mr. Moretti turns his head and sees me, immediately putting on a smile. "Blair, Antonio is here to take you home."

I smile too. "Mr. Moretti, you're so busy with work and still worried about Antonio and me. It's really hard on you."

As we walk into the living room making small talk, Antonio sits silently to the side the whole time. He seems to have not slept for a long time, his face showing a sickly pallor. The maid serves us coffee, and Antonio holds his cup, staring into space.

After saying a few more things about how I need to take care of myself and the baby and be more patient with Antonio's difficult personality, his father leaves.

I turn and touch his hand. "Antonio?"

"Don't take your father's words to heart," I comfort him.

He nods, his eyes devoid of much emotion, and simply says, "Let's go home."

Antonio remains silent the entire way back. Once we get to the apartment, he shuts himself in the master bedroom.

I knock on the door.

"Come in," he says.

The door isn't locked. I turn the handle and see Antonio lying on the carpet where the sunlight doesn't reach him, looking like a plant about to wither from dampness.