Prologue

During winter, the underworld society was much more active. The cold naturally drove living creatures to their warm habitats; that includes humans; for the low temperature decreased cell activity and therefore metabolism rates plummeted. Night came early and dawn came late. With such unfavourable conditions for life, it was, in short, perfect for the other kind to be out and about with their business. Darkness envelops the land for the longest period at this time of the year and the most seen of the sun was the glow of twilight. And as myths go, these kind were the strongest at the time of nightfall. They consisted of his kind and the other kind. 

There is vampire blood and werewolf blood. 

Xavier belonged to the werewolves. 

Even so, werewolves were broken to different packs just as vampires are separated to different clans. With the ice blazing outside, he prioritized it was safer to stay in their sophisticated underground network. The vampires are cold-blooded creatures so they wouldn't be out at this time. No point doing trades with people who don't keep up to their dates. During the harshest of winter was when the werewolves were highly active going about with their activities. Unlike other ranks, he didn't have to go out to secure a pact, locate transmissions, defend and claim territories to extend power and influence or meet with other packs for business purposes unless it was really important. He found no purpose in doing so. He had to manage his pack, monitor development progress, check and intercept listings, stocks and possible threats from rival packs, everything has to run smoothly......... and there's that insane amount of paperwork. To add to that factor was the onset of mating season. Wolves mate during winter to ensure the offspring were born during spring to greatly reduce the chance of famine.

After he had done enough to cover up for lost time and work due to the 'unforeseen distraction' some days ago, Xavier dragged himself back to his quarters. Upon opening the door, he was greeted by silence. He was always greeted by silence. Just a few days ago, he acquired a new roommate. They never spoke to each other. The reason being neither wanting to be at such close approximation to the other. Stuck together in the same room, they only time they communicated was to stare at one another, deadlocked in hatred and disgust.

Xavier was not referring to noise level when he described silent. Rather, he was depicting that his room was emanating a still, quiet presence. Something he had not enjoyed in a long time since that bane was brought here. 

"Ah... asleep," he quietly mused as his eyes fell upon a slim figure partially curled on the floor. His short scraggly blonde hair wasn't held in its usual messy ponytail but left freely and from the corner of Xavier's eye, some ends were twisting into the loose tufts of the carpet.

Yana had been tossing and turning, rubbing perhaps a little too vigorously into the floor covering. That much he can tell. Perhaps his collar was getting uncomfortable?

 He was chained for a very good reason- This creature right here, the cause of his stalled workload, was Yana. They rivaled in everything they did. Such strong competition would not be allowed to stand beside someone like him. Xavier was well known for running one of the strongest and most influential black market networks. And to continue expanding his influence, he claimed territories. Not by contract. He is a pure werewolf by blood and he did not have the patience to sit down and discuss plans. If he did, he'd go around knocking his co-workers unconscious. It was just in their species to settle everything by 'seeing who is stronger'.

But not Yana. He wasn't one to rush into a fanged battle. Unlike Xavier, he did not possess that drive for a bloody fight. The exterior Yana presented was somewhat human, which his heritage proved. He deployed tactics and strategies, something which Xavier thought to be utterly useless in combat though he finally caved in after years of unsuccessful scuffling and threw in some time to do 'meticulous planning'. He had to admit, he did enjoy the spoils of an efficacious victory after that but what followed after that was something that surprised him too. He had always found Yana to be weak. Too skinny and weak that he succumbed to using cowardly methods such as strategizing. The others were already a challenge to apprehend despite being well-bodied. But the lout thought to be the weakest was absolutely ferocious. Day and night, if he felt like it, he launched himself on Xavier. It was as if the cool, normally halcyon Yana became possessed by a demon.

Now Xavier was not one to drive out packs from their territories. He preferred to conquer them and take them under his wing to serve him. Disciplining was a breeze but somehow, Yana was taking an awfully long time to be broken in. And it made sense, Yana was all madness about his defeat. He attacked Xavier in both forms. And he was quick too. By the end of autumn, he acquired some 'accessories' and a reputable position by Xavier's bedside.

Giving a quiet but deep sigh, Xavier flexed his sore shoulders. As of late, his roommate was starting to become...quiet. He deeply recalled, how aggressive Yana had been before he was introduced to his new cell. Upon being forcefully transported by Xavier himself to 'their' chambers, his snarling ceased. But then, he suddenly picked up where he left off with a different note to it. Xavier did not bother to think of it but for some reason, at this moment, he wondered why he never took notice of the sudden change of behavior.

He wondered if it was because he was riled up with work back then, or if it was the 'heat' giving him a fever right now.

Speaking of which, it was a strange time but he was beginning to get heady.

From what he knew not since it was a mystery he would unravel later. He shifted himself to a more comfortable position. He expected sleep to come to him quickly today- he had been in bed some time now yet he did not feel the least motivated to rest. His mind was fixated on a certain someone. He had just begun to realize how perplexing it actually was. The first time Yana entered the room was the last time he made anymore noises. His eyes still had vigor in them but even as he was chained, his resentment was half-hearted. A few days later, he had his muzzle taken off and he finally reverted back to his usual form. His eyes continued to have that 'kill' gaze whenever Xavier was around but it gradually lessened. To put in simple terms, Yana was ignoring him. At least that was what it seemed to be. He felt now, that a closer reflection would be that Yana was growing aloof. Perhaps he was sick?  He woke up far later than usual today.

Xavier was starting to feel sensitive against the sheets. Heat was gradually spreading to parts of his body. Breathing slowly, he gently brought his palms to brush over his chest and briefly with his lower half. He perdured caressing his body until he felt a slight wave of giddiness enveloping himself.

Heavens.... he felt light...